Hi, Y’all. I’m Heidy Linn McCallum, the quirky, sometimes nerdy, food history loving, writer, recipe developer, food photographer, and cook around here on The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch Blog.
If you love learning about cooking Traditional Southern recipes or, better yet, devouring delicious Iconic Southern recipes, Comfort foods, and reading about the fabulous history behind the recipes you love eating, you have landed on the right blog.
I launched The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch Blog back in late 2013, as a hobby sharing family-friendly, Iconic, and traditional Southern favorites among family and my closest friends. By 2020 my family blog has developed a considerable fan base of those seeking the art of cooking delicious Southern Favorites and Italian-American Cuisine and the recipes’ history.
My Southern-born and raised husband, Ben, grew up on Southern Foods, so of course, I like to serve up his favorite recipes such as Chocolate Grits n Berries, Chocolate Gravy with Bacon, Sausage Gravy and Biscuits, Egg Salad, Fried Green Tomatoes, Tomato Pie, Collard Greens, Black-eyed Peas, Spicy Fried Chicken, Fried Dill Pickles, Gumbo, Jambalaya, Milk and Honey Corn on the Cob, Cornbread, Fried Okra, and so forth and so on.
Southern cuisine has an amazing historical foundation because of the foreign influences of so many unique cultures coming together during the United States’ early settlement. It’s truly a great combination of Native American, African, French, Spanish, Greek, Scottish, Irish, English, and a few other cultures.
On the other hand, I was brought up in a family household where both delicious Italian-American Comfort foods and Southern foods were served during meals, so you will also find me sharing a few of my favorite Italian-American family recipes as well on the blog from time to time to spice things up a bit on the blog.
Currently, I moved back to Florida after living in Olive Branch, Mississippi, near the Tennessee border for over a year. At heart, I’m a Florida girl who loves the year-round warm temps and bright sunshine. I hope you enjoy reading about some of the fascinating histories behind the recipes I make, and our family enjoys it. If you have any questions or comments, be sure to voice them in the comment section. I love to hear from Y’all, so don’t be strangers; feel free to introduce yourselves.
- Hey there, Y’all I have been diligently working on the blog to make it more enjoyable and user-friendly by adding a new layout, updating some of the recipes and older photos, adding more Pro Tips, and Frequently Asked Questions! Of course, I have been adding new recipes for you to try out as well. I hope you are enjoying the new look and feel of the blog.
- Lately, I have been adding more Italian and Italian-American recipes on the blog as well as other cuisines for you to try out. I will continue with more Iconic recipes in the future as you know those are my favorite foods.
A few Iconic Southern Specialties to check out:
- Beef and Biscuits Casserole
- Cajun Flavored Hoppin’ John
- Chocolate Grits n Berries
- Chocolate Gravy with Bacon
- Classic Sausage Chicken and Okra Gumbo
- Collard Greens
- Corn and Rice Casserole
- Cowboy Caviar
- Fried Dill Pickles
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- Green Gumbo
- Hamburger Steaks Smothered in Gravy
- Milk and Honey Corn on the Cob
- Old-fashioned Southern Meat Sauce
- Red Crawfish Gumbo
- Shrimp and Grits
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- Southern Banana Pudding
- Southern Baked Bean and Ground Beef Casserole
- Southern Coleslaw
- Southern Corn Salad
- Southern Chicken and Dumplings
- Southern Creamy Crab Dip
- Southern Egg Salad
- Southern Fried Cabbage
- Southern Fried Green Beans
- Southern Greens and Sausage Soup
- Southern Ham Salad
- Southern Macaroni Salad
- Southern Meat Sauce
- Southern Pea Salad
- Southern Potato Salad
- Southern Pimento Cheese Spread
- Southern Tomato Pie
- Southern Corn Pudding Casserole
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Southern Sausage and Biscuits Casserole
- Southern-style Succotash
- Southern Smothered Pork Chops
- Southern-Style White Beans and Ham
- Spicy Fried Chicken
- Spicy Southern 15 Bean Soup with Smoked Sausage
- Strawberry Fluff Salad
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Sweet Potato and Pecan Pie
- Watergate Salad, aka Pistachio Pineapple Delight