These Stuffed Cubanelle Peppers are deliciously stuffed with hot Italian Sausage, Parmesan Reggiano cheese, rice, and fresh herbs, then covered in a simple red sauce and baked to perfection for the perfect flavorful tasting stuffed pepper casserole.
Cubanelle peppers are perfect for filling with spicy, savory fillings. Packed with flavorful, Italian spicy sausage with a rice mixture and baked until tender, these peppers will become a newfound favorite.
WHAT ARE CUBANELLE PEPPERS?
Cubanelle peppers, AKA Italian Frying Peppers or Cuban peppers, are a variety of mild-tasting peppers popular in Cuban, Puerto Rican, and some European cuisines. They have a long, sometimes twisted shape and can be found in shades from bright yellow-green to red when allowed to ripen fully.
Cubanelle’s thinner skin makes them an excellent option for fast-cooking meals. Although mild in flavor, Cubanelles are often found in sofrito, the aromatic base for Spanish and Portuguese recipes.
Freshly harvested Cubanelle peppers will last for weeks in the refrigerator if adequately stored as long as they are left uncut. Cooked Cubanelle peppers should be placed in a plastic airtight container and used within 3-4 days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT STUFFED CUBANELLE PEPPERS
Are stuffed Cubanelle peppers Spicy?
Cubanelles are considered mild or low-heat peppers. The Scoville Scale measures the spiciness of peppers, and Cubanelles measure about 1,000 SHU.
What is similar to Cubanelle peppers?
Anaheim Chiles are similar to Cubanelles and make a suitable replacement, though they pack a little more heat.
Can Stuffed Cubanelle Peppers be made ahead?
Stuffed Cubanelles are a perfect make-ahead dish. You can prep the filling and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator a few days before and then fill the Cubanelle peppers just before cooking.
What makes a good Cubanelle pepper substitute?
If you can’t find Cubanelle peppers in your local grocery store or farmers market, you can use Anaheim Chiles or even Poblano peppers if you don’t mind a little more kick.
INGREDIENTS FOR STUFFED CUBANELLE PEPPERS
Hot Italian Sausage
Parmesan Reggiano cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Simple Red sauce or crushed tomatoes
Stuffed Cubanelle Peppers
- Cutting Board
- Pairing knife
- Large Bowl
- Casserole dish
- Serving spoon
- 6 Cubanelle peppers stem removed and cored
- 1 pound Hot Italian sausage uncooked (cooks during baking)
- 1 cup Par-cooked rice or leftover rice
- ¼ cup Yellow onion minced
- ¼ cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese grated
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Fresh parsley chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- cooking spray to pre-treat casserole dish
- 2 cups Red sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Gather all the ingredients and equipment needed to prepare the stuffed peppers. Prep the peppers by washing them, removing the stem, and coring them.
- Pre-treat the casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, Combine uncooked Hot Italian sausage, Parmesan Reggiano cheese, par-cooked rice, minced yellow onion, minced garlic, chopped fresh parsley leaves, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Fill each cubanelle pepper to the top. Depending on the size of your pepper, you may have extra filling—place in the pre-treated casserole dish on their sides. Cover the peppers with sauce and bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes or until done.
Although themccallumsshamrockpatch.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and how ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will themccallumsshamrockpatch.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.