This flavorful Quick and Easy Asian Sweet Chili Shrimp is marinated in a tangy Thai sauce that tastes sweet yet slightly spicy. It is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner when you have 30 minutes or less to get your meal from the stovetop to the table.
I love a fabulous 30 minutes or less meal I can sit down and enjoy without being frustrated on a busy night. I am all about, “Time is precious, and should be well spent.” idea. I still work outside of the home for about 30 hours a week in retail. Plus blog recipes, and believe that I am spent by the time I get done at night.
Sweet Chili Shrimp with Broccolini or just plain broccoli is one of my favorite go-to quick meals. I mean, incredibly so simple it’s about 15-18 minutes prep time and about 10 minutes cook time, give or take. How can you go wrong? Serve with steamed white rice, and you are perfect to go on a crazy night.
For example, the day after the Fourth of July, I had to be at work by 5 am, and that’s about a 40-minute drive one way. That put me up at about 3:15 am; I no sooner got home, and my darling husband, who had the day off, wanted to go out shopping for a few things. This recipe for Sweet Chili Shrimp was perfect for that night.
I use several time-saving methods when I make this recipe for Sweet Chili Shrimp on a busy night. I am going to share them with Y’all so you can save a bit of time and effort on your busy nights, as well.
Tips to Save Time making Sweet Chili Shrimp
Purchase raw shrimp that has the shells already removed, and it will save you from the hassle of pealing them.
Purchase raw pre-chopped broccoli in the produce section and save yourself the chopping time.
Before starting yourSweet Chili Shrimp get out the rice steamer and start the rice; it will cook as you prep and cook your meal.
Flash steam your broccolini or broccoli for a few moments before starting the shrimp. This should take 2-3 minutes tops.
Use a pre-made Thai Sweet Chili Sauce from the International market or look in your markets Ethic food aisle for Sweet Chili Sauce.
Use quality minced garlic in a jar to save time, or look in the produce section for fresh minced.
I have found that the best Sweet Chili Sauce to use is purchasing from a small Asian market in my area. It has the perfect blend of spice, heat, and flavor; and is imported from Thailand. However, if you can not access one imported from Thailand, they do have a few brands in most supermarkets that are reasonably decent, and they will work in this recipe just fine. In a pinch, I have used them myself.
Let’s talk about the veggie, Broccolini. Some of you are already familiar with the veggie named Broccolini; others are thinking to themselves, What? Does she mean Broccoli? NO worries, friends, I am talking about two different vegetables that are similar and simultaneously different at the same time.
What is Broccolini?
Broccolini or baby broccoli is a green vegetable similar to broccoli but with smaller florets and more extended, thin stalks. It is a hybrid of broccoli and gai lan (which is sometimes referred to as “Chinese kale” or “Chinese broccoli”), both cultivar groups of Brassica oleracea. The name Broccolini is a registered trademark of Mann Packing. -Taken from Wikipedia
Items Needed to make Sweet Chili Shrimp
Jumbo Shrimp, shells removed and cleaned.
Wok Oil or you may use vegetable oil if need be
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
Broccolini or Broccoli
Sweet Chili Shrimp
- 1½ pound Large Shrimp Shells removed and shrimp cleaned
- Kosher Salt to own taste
- Black Pepper to own taste
- 1½ Tablespoons Wok Oil or oil on hand
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1/3 cup Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime juice about 1 large lime
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Thai Sriracha Sauce
- Kosher Salt to own taste or optional
- 2 cups Cooked White Steamed Rice Start in advance in steamer
- 1 bunch Flash Steamed broccolini or broccoli Flash Steam 2-4 minutes
- Before starting the shrimp prepare the uncooked white rice in a steamer and Flash steam broccolini or broccoli about 3-4 minutes time.
- Rinse and Pat dry the raw shrimp. Season with Kosher salt and pepper. In a heated metal skillet place 1½ tablespoons of wok oil or oil you have on hand with the sesame oil. Let the oil heat but do not overheat or burn oil. Add the shrimp and cook on one side about 2 minutes, flip the shrimp add the minced garlic and cook about another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low next add the Flash steamed broccolini or broccoli, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, honey, lime juice soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, and Kosher salt if desired. Combine ingredients until all the shrimp is thoroughly coated. Remove from heat source.
- Serve immediately
Although themccallumsshamrockpatch.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and how ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will themccallumsshamrockpatch.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
If you enjoyed this Sweet Chili Shrimp recipe, you might also enjoy these recipes.
- Spicy Asian-Style Broccoliis a deliciously flavorful, simple Asian side dish made from broccoli spears tossed with soy sauce, thinly sliced fresh garlic, soy sauce, chili pepper flakes, sweet rice vinegar, sesame oil, and a hint of brown sugar. Hands down, this Spicy Asian-Style Broccoli will beat every takeout container of Chinese you can get without exception
- Easy Hot and Sour Soup is the winning combo of savory yet spicy, made with Shiitake mushrooms, bamboo shoots, tofu, and egg ribbons in a flavorful seasoned broth. Deliciously flavored Hot and sour soup can be found on most takeout menus or even Chinese buffet tables in the US. However, nothing beats a homemade version of Hot and Sour soup made with love in your kitchen.
- Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet is a combination of crabmeat, cabbage, celery, sweet red bell peppers, mild cheddar cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, soy sauce, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and a touch of seasoning. The Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet is then baked to bubbly perfection in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes.