This adorable Dirt Pudding Recipe is a favorite among both kids and adults alike. It is layered with chocolate pudding, Oreo cookies, fresh strawberries, juicy blackberries, and gummy worms to make a delicious treat everyone will love at family gatherings, potlucks, or even picnics.
I can’t tell you enough about how much my children used to love this dessert every time I made it, and it would fly off the table in no time flat. They loved every bite of it. Dirt Pudding had to be one of the most requested desserts for potlucks, church luncheons, and family gatherings.
Over the years, I started adding fresh organic berries to the Dirt Pudding recipe to brighten and balance the flavors of the chocolate, and I have to say it’s even better than ever these days. The fresh strawberries and blackberries not only give it a more adult refined look but a delicious flavor. Have you ever made Dirt Pudding? It’s so super simple to make you’ll be shocked.
When my son was little; he would ask what I was making, I would tell him Dirt, he would just crack up laughing and tell me that it wasn’t dirt because real dirt tastes yucky. I would then ask him, how do you know real dirt tastes yucky? He would just smile and not answer. I guess I was kind of happy not to know how he knew that dirt tasted yucky if you know what I mean, lol!
I love the versatility you have when it comes to decorating this Dirt Pudding dessert, you can use fresh berries, mint leaves, or gummy worms candies, and put it in a flower-pot or small decorative containers to make individual servings. I have also used a 9×10 baking dish and decorated the Dirt Pudding with several Gummy Worms, and Mint leaves poking out of the top. I have also noticed a few people use the sand Bucket and shovel idea to decorate.
Ingredients needed for Dirt Pudding:
Butter *Do not use Margarine*
Instant chocolate pudding
Stabilized Whipped Cream or Cool Whip
Gummy Worms (optional)
- 1 package Family sized Oreo Cookies crushed
- 4 tablespoons Real Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 3 cups Milk
- 1-5.9- ounce Instant Chocolate Pudding
- 1-12- ounce Container of Cool-whip
- Fresh Strawberries
- Fresh Blackberries
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Gummy Worms Optional
- Place whole Oreo cookies in a gallon size storage bag. Do not remove the cream in the middle of the Oreos, seal the storage bag and use a rolling pin to roll over Oreo cookies and crush them.
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter, cream cheese, and the powdered sugar.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the milk and chocolate pudding mix.
- Add the chocolate pudding to the cream cheese mixture and stir. Fold in Cool Whip until completely combined
- Place a layer of the crushed Oreos in the bottom of dessert dish or large bottomed bowl. Put the pudding mixture on top of the crushed Oreos and spread evenly in the dish. Place the remaining amount of crushed Oreos on top of the pudding.
- Decorate with fresh berries, mint, and Gummy worms (optional)
- Refrigerate 60-120 minutes before serving
Don’t forget to save his recipe by using the Pin and Print options!