Southern Fried Cabbage is the perfect deliciously flavorful side dish to accompany any Southern-Style meal. Southern Fried Cabbage is super easy to make, using simple ingredients, such as tender cabbage, crisp smoked bacon, onions, and is packed with an incredible flavor from the Cajun spices.
Southern Fried Cabbage is a comfort food our family has made for as long as I can remember, simply by rendering smoked bacon, sauteeing green cabbage, and yellow onions slowly, in unsalted butter, and seasonings, I bet some of Y’all thought as soon as you read the title it was going to be breaded deep fried in oil didn’t you?
This recipe is one of the old-time recipes that many Southern Families enjoy, the main ingredients are pretty much the same in most recipes, however, you may find a few variances from recipe to recipe, or additions to kick the recipe up a notch. I keep mine pretty short, sweet, and to the point.
Have you ever tasted buttery cabbage and onions together? Now imagine that wonderful flavorful buttery cabbage and onions with crispy smoked bacon and seasoned with Cajun Spices, so damn delicious it’s ridiculous!
I am telling you, Southern Fried Cabbage is one of those recipes that if you love cabbage, you are going to be hooked. Yes hooked, line, and sinker. How can you go wrong with a recipe that pairs so well with a good down-home Southern Meal such as Fried Chicken, Smothered Pork Chops, Hamburger Steaks, or nearly any Southern-Style other meat?
I have to be honest though Y’all there have been times I have just made a big batch of this Fried Cabbage and had it over a bed of white rice with a kick of Hot sauce, and called it a day. You could even put it over noodles if you like and it’s just as delicious.
Ingredients needed for Southern Fried Cabbage Recipe
- Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon
- Unsalted butter
- Large yellow onion
- Garlic Cloves
- Cajun seasoning
- Large head of cabbage
- Worchester sauce
- Kosher salt
- Ground Black Pepper
Before we get to the recipe, there are a few things I would like to mention concerning the recipe for Southern Fried Cabbage.
- Be sure to use quality thick-sliced smoked bacon, it really adds a great smoky flavor to the cabbage.
- Onions matter, trust me, use a large yellow onion, sweet onions, or salad onions seem to throw this recipe completely off.
- Fresh garlic is a must in this recipe.
- You can replace the Cajun Seasoning with Creole Seasoning, however, be mindful the Creole Seasoning sometimes have a heavier salt content.
- Be sure to adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Some people use a pinch of sugar in their recipes, I do not. If you would like to add sugar please be mindful 1/4 of a teaspoon is more than enough thrust me.
- 8 Slices Crispy Hickory Smoked Bacon chopped
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Bacon drippings optional
- 1 large Yellow Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 head Cabbage chopped or sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning or more
- Kosher salt to own taste
- Ground Black Pepper to own taste
Heat a large Cast Iron skillet on medium heat, once heated add the smoked bacon careful not to overcrowd the pan and cook until the bacon has rendered off the fat and become crisp- about 12 minutes or so
Meanwhile, slice the cabbage, chop or slice the yellow onions, mince the garlic cloves, and reserve until needed.
Once the bacon is done remove the bacon from cast iron skillet and drain off all bacon dripping other than about 1 tablespoon, add 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter to the pan, let it melt. Add the cabbage, onions, and minced garlic at this time and cook reduce heat to medium-low heat. Season with Worcestershire Sauce, Cajun Seasoning, Kosher salt, ground black pepper, and let slowly cook turning every so often until the cabbage has softened. About 15-20 minutes or less if you like your cabbage a little firmer.
Remove the cabbage from the cast iron skillet and place on a serving dish, top with crispy smoked bacon, or stir the bacon in.
Be sure to use the Print and Pin Options to Save for Later!