Corn and Rice Casserole is super simple to make, yet packed with a fantastic flavor bite after a delicious bite. Combining just a few ingredients, such as corn, yellow rice, Colby Jack cheese, Cream of Celery Soup, and jalapeno peppers, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time.
I have to tell you very few recipes I still eat that include cream of anything soup, but this Corn and Rice Casserole Aunt Paige makes one of them. It’s stinking delicious and so darn easy it’s almost ridiculous. Some of you will be happy to see a super easy recipe you can make in 1-2-3.
I made a few changes to Aunt Paige’s recipe for Corn and Rice Casserole, and her recipe consisted of 1 package of yellow saffron rice, one can of Mexi-corn, one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup, and 1 cup of yellow cheese. Easy Peasy! I made mine using 16 ounces of organic frozen yellow corn and 9 ounces of yellow saffron rice. One can of Cream of Celery soup, two fresh jalapeno peppers, and 1 cup of Colby-Jack cheese. Still as easy as pie.
I made the changes I did because I usually cook with what’s on hand at the house. We always have organic frozen corn, fresh jalapenos, Colby-Jack cheese, and so forth in the refrigerator. The only thing I had to buy was the cream of celery. I decided on the cream of celery because I thought it might be the right choice. You can use whichever, or even Cream of Chicken would be good.
I have to tell Y’all a funny story: my husband HATES rice, I mean, he hates it with an ever-loving passion. He even slapped a good-sized spoonful of Aunt Paige’s Corn and Rice Casserole on his plate at Thanksgiving and ate it! What? Yep, Y’all, he sure as heck did. I could not believe my eyes! Can you believe it? That’s a HUGE milestone in 11 years.
Aunt Paige is a fantastic cook, making some of the best Southern Casseroles you can think of. I may be slightly biased, but she cooks up a delicious storm in my book, and I sure do enjoy every bite of her food. I will share a few more recipes of hers that I am sure you will love.
When I made the Corn and Rice Casserole the other night, I also made one of my other Southern favorites, Smothered Pork Chops, and organic green beans, and it was so wonderful. Southern Comfort food at its finest readers.
Off-topic, the other day, I was on Facebook and happened to read a post that another blogger published that hit a bit of a sour note with me. The long and short of it was that Southern food was an atrocity. Well, I have to disagree with him. It’s our culture, just like his blog features his culture’s foods. I respond to this insult: Bless his little heart; we all enjoy our cuisine, and he knows no better.
Ingredients Needed for Corn and Rice Casserole
- One-9-ounce package of Yellow Saffron rice
- One-16-ounce bag of organic frozen corn
- One-10.5-ounce Heart Smart Cream of Celery Soup or regular
- Two fresh Jalapeno Peppers
- Eight-ounces Colby-Jack Cheese
- Cooking spray
Tips for the Recipe
- Follow the instructions to the letter on the back of the 9-ounce package of Yellow Saffron Rice.
- Do not use canned corn in the recipe, as it tends to be too soft in texture.
- Regular Cream of Celery Soup may be used instead of the Heart Smart soup.
- Practice safe handling when it comes to the jalapeno peppers. Use gloves to protect your hands.
- Pretreat the casserole dish with cooking spray to make for easier cleanup.
Corn and Rice Casserole
- 1 -9-ounce package Yellow Saffron rice Cooked per package instructions
- 1 -16-ounce package Organic frozen corn Thawed
- 1 -10.5-ounce can Heart Smart Cream of Celery Soup
- 2 Fresh Jalapeno Peppers diced
- 8 ounces Colby-Jack Cheese freshly shredded
- Cooking spray
- Using the package directions cook the yellow saffron rice and reserve until needed.
- Prepare a 9x10 glass baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Combine cooked yellow rice, thawed organic corn, and Cream of Celery soup in a large bowl. Once you are done place the corn and rice mixture in the prepared 9x10 glass baking dish and top with the shredded Colby-Jack cheese. Bake covered for 35 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
If you enjoyed this Corn and Rice Casserole, here are a few others you might like
- Southern Chili Cornbread Casserole is the perfect meal to serve at your next gathering, or it makes for a delicious meal any night of the week.
- Southern Corn Pudding Casserole is the delicious iconic classic casserole made by Grannie, especially for Sunday dinners, holidays, and church potlucks, It has a sweet, cheesy golden layer of delicious, creamy corn center that everyone loves.
- Southern Broccoli and Rice Casserole is a Southern favorite in our home, one of our most beloved recipes passed down from generation to generation. It is made with long grain rice, fresh never, frozen broccoli, sautéed Vidalia onions, sharp white cheddar, mild yellow cheddar, sour cream, low sodium vegetable broth, and seasoned breadcrumbs.
Be sure to pin for later!