These aren’t your ordinary plain Jane eggrolls, folks. These are deliciously flavorful Crispy Southwestern Egg Rolls, made with chicken, black beans, corn, jalapeño peppers, Colby Jack cheese, red sweet bell peppers, and spinach. Served with a bold Chipotle Ranch dipping sauce that you are going to absolutely love.
Years ago, we had a restaurant near us in Ohio, called The Ground Round, and the very first time I had the pleasure of tasting a Southwestern Egg Roll was in an appetizer called “The Pot of Gold at The Ground Round.” I fell in love with those Southwestern Egg Rolls on the spot. Need I tell you the flavor combo was out of this world?
Over the years, I have munched on many Southwestern Egg Rolls from Chili’s and other establishments. Still, I always think back to those delicious Southwestern Egg Rolls from The Ground Round. They were so crispy and fresh tasting as if they were made on the spot and never frozen once.
I decided to make my batch of Southwestern Egg Rolls and see if I could accomplish the taste I was missing for so many years. They weren’t 100% the same as theirs, but they tasted even better to me. A score in my book! They were so darn good my husband, who wasn’t one bit interested in trying them, told me, “You can make these ANYTIME; I like them.” What? Wow!
Look at that super flavorful filling in those Southwestern Egg Rolls. Super yum yum about to be in my tummy eggrolls. As you can see, this was by far a professional photo session, and this is what our appetizer looked like, authentic food for real people. No gimmicks on this plate, well, except a little of that sauce on the plate I left. lol
I used to want my photos to be perfect magazine photos, now I want them to be good realistic photos of food that Y’all can achieve. Don’t get me wrong; I love looking at beautiful artistic food photos; however, I know that everyone wants a clear picture of what they can realistically make.
Let’s talk about rolling those egg rolls. Have you rolled one? OK, for those of you that said no, breathe, relax, have you rolled cabbage rolls or stuffed vine leaves? If you answered yes, you got this, darling. It’s not hard. I didn’t do images of the steps to roll them, but a simple Google search of “How to roll egg rolls?” should have you up and running in no time flat. YouTube also has a few videos that will help you as well. Google is your friend.
Tips to Roll Southwestern Egg Rolls
Gently lay the egg roll wrapper out like a diamond. The corner furthest from you will be corner 1; corner 2 is to the left, and corner 3 is to the right. The corner closest to you will be corner 4.
Place about three tablespoons of the egg roll mixture in the middle of the wrapper just a little below the line between corners 2 and 3, using your finger or small brush to spread some of the water or egg-mixture if desired along the edges from corners 2 to 1 and from 1 to 3.
Fold over the egg roll wrapper corner four towards corner 1.
Once you fold the egg roll wrapper, use a rolling back action to firm up the wrapper’s mixture.
Fold over corner 2 of the egg roll wrapper.
Fold over corner 3 of the egg roll wrapper, be sure the water or egg mixture seals both edges together.
Then roll the egg roll wrapper towards corner 1.
Continue rolling until the edges seal on the egg roll wrapper.
Smooth the edges, use a little more water/egg mixture to aid in doing so.
Place the wrapped egg rolls on a large platter or tray until you are ready to fry them deeply.
If you are making a bunch of egg rolls, roll them in a small amount of corn starch to keep them from sticking to the plate or each other.
Ingredients List for Southwestern Egg Rolls
Diced Cooked Chicken Breast
Colby Jack Cheese
Organic Canned Black Beans
Organic Frozen Sweet Corn
Organic Red Bell Pepper
Organic Jalapeno Peppers
Organic Frozen Spinach
Ground Black Pepper
Ground Cayenne Pepper, optional
Egg Roll Wrappers, 21 count
Oil, to fry
Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
Water or lightly beaten egg to seal
Notes: Organic ingredients are optional and not necessary in this recipe. Local grown, none GMO ingredients are acceptable to use.
Southwestern Egg Rolls
Egg Roll Filling
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken breast meat diced
- 1 ½ cups Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- ¾ cup Organic Black Beans drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup Organic Frozen Sweet Corn
- ¾ cup Organic Red Bell Pepper diced
- 4 medium Organic Jalapeno Peppers seeds removed, diced
- ½ cup Organic Frozen Spinach thawed, excess water removed
- ¼ cup Red onion diced
- ¼ cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Lime Zest
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper optional
- 1 cup Water to moisten egg roll wrappers
- 1 Package Egg Roll Wrappers 21 Count
- Oil for frying
Chipotle Ranch Dipping Sauce
- ¾ cup Real Mayonnaise
- ¾ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1 Canned Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Adobo Sauce from canned Chipotle Peppers
- ½ teaspoon Lime Zest
Directions for Chipotle Ranch Dipping Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a small glass bowl, cover tightly, and refrigerate for 30 or more minutes before serving with egg rolls
Directions for Egg Rolls
- In a large bowl, combine the egg roll filling ingredients. Place about 3 tablespoons of the egg roll mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper. Keep remaining egg roll wrappers covered with a clean damp towel until ready for use. Fold the bottom corner over the filling. Fold the sides toward the center overfilling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat process 21 x
- Fry the egg rolls, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack or on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy.
Although themccallumsshamrockpatch.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and how ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will themccallumsshamrockpatch.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few other suggestions.
- Crispy Cauliflower Cakes with Marinara Sauce are amazingly easy to make, husband approved Cauliflower Cakes will be one of those sinfully delicious, flavorful. Yet, almost guilt-free snacks you’ll love to eat with your favorite Marinara Sauce.
- Salmon Cakes are going to be one of the most flavorful morsels you’ve put in your mouth in decades. Made with fresh ruby-red colored fresh, never frozen, wild sockeye salmon, that’s fried crisp on the outside with tender flakes of salmon on the inside.
- Southern Fried Dill Pickles are made from delightfully crunchy, tiny baby dill pickles, that are gloriously soaked in a garlic and dill brine until perfectly seasoned, then placed in seasoned buttermilk and hot sauce brine before fried to perfection and served with homemade Ranch dressing.
Don’t forget to use the Print and Pin Options to Save this Southwestern Egg Rolls recipe!