Are you looking for a simple homemade, deliciously creamy, side dish for Broccoli and Rice packed with flavor, that doesn’t require a ton of work? Broccoli Alfredo Rice is one of those dishes that fit all those needs and won’t heat up the kitchen this summer. It’s a perfect side for chicken, fish, or even pork.
Whats not to love about Broccoli Alfredo Rice? You simply measure the rice, vegetable stock, add seasoning, cook it about 3/4 of the way on the stove top or rice cooker, then add the fresh Broccoli, sautéed onions, Alfredo sauce, grated Parmesan cheese, and cook until the broccoli is firm but tender. It’s that simple, friends. It comes out perfectly creamy and not sticky.
Ask yourself, what’s more, annoying in the dead of summer than having to heat up the oven and make a casserole or dish to go with dinner? I honestly can’t think of anything more dreadful than when it’s over 90 degrees here in the shade, and I need a side dish to go with dinner that isn’t a salad. There are only so many salads we can eat Y’all.
I happen to love a good salad, however, my husband isn’t big on them all the time. So making a cold salad every day for the rest of the summer isn’t an option in my household. I need something substantial, filling, and flavorful to add to our meals to keep the peace. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to deal with complaints on a daily basis. (ugh)In the winter or cooler months, I make a yummy Broccoli, chicken, and rice casserole that I put in the oven and everyone loves it. Unfortunately, in the summer I just can’t deal with a hot, humid, house any more than the next person. I start getting madder than a wet hornet. So that’s exactly how this Broccoli Alfredo Rice dish came to life one day.
I asked what everyone wanted to go with their chicken that night and got the dreaded, “Anything but salad!” I can remember clearly thinking, I was about to lose my *Sh%T*, it was so hot outside, I seriously thought– that just flipping great, then I happened to think about the Broccoli and Chicken Casserole I make during the winter months. What if I just changed up the cooking process and left the chicken out?
Let’s talk a little more about the process of making this tasty dish
- Use a quality washed and sorted short-grain organic rice for the recipe if possible, your taste buds will thank you.
- When cooking the organic short-grain rice, skip the water and use a good vegetable stock or even chicken stock, careful if you are using a broth it may end up a little too salty using a broth so opt for low-sodium and skip the salt altogether in the recipe card below. You can always add salt but you can’t take it away is my motto.
- Fresh broccoli tastes best in the recipe, however, if it isn’t an option, use frozen organic instead.
- I use my own homemade Alfredo sauce in ours, don’t feel like taking the extra step? No worries, use a high-quality premade jar sauce.
- Use real butter when sauteing the onions, margarine really doesn’t remotely taste the same as a good unsalted butter.
Items you will need to make the recipe:
- Short-grain organic rice
- Vegetable stock or Chicken stock (sub-low-sodium broth if need be)
- Organic virgin-olive oil
- Organic fresh or dried basil
- Kosher salt, to own taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to own taste
- 1 Medium onion
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- Unsalted Butter
- Organic fresh broccoli or frozen
- Your Favorite homemade or premade Alfredo Sauce
- Quality grated Parmesan Cheese
- Pepper Flakes, optional
- 3 cups Vegetable or Chicken stock
- 2 cups Organic Short-grain organic rice washed, sorted
- 1 tablespoon Organic virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Organic fresh basil or dry chopped
- Kosher salt to own taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head Organic fresh or frozen broccoli cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 1/2 cups Homemade or Pre made Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 cup Quality grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 pinch Hot pepper flakes optional
Wash and pre-sort the short grain organic rice
Put the organic short-grain rice and measured stock into a large flat-bottomed pot with a tight-fitting lid on high heat Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, basil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper to the pot at this time. Stir a few times, cook for about 4 minutes on high heat before reducing heat to low. Cook for about 10 minutes. Do not remove the lid.
Meanwhile, place medium skillet on medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter, once melted add the diced yellow onion, cook 3-4 minutes before adding minced garlic. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
At this time add the fresh organic broccoli, sauteed onions, and garlic to the large flat-bottomed pot, add the Alfredo sauce, and lightly stir till ingredients are combined. It should be creamy looking but not too runny. Let cook on lowest heat setting covered with a tight-fitting lid until the broccoli is firm but tender and the rice is completely cooked about 6-8 minutes.
Add the grated Parmesan Cheese and stir the rice mixture, careful not to break down the rice grains. Serve while hot with a few optional pepper flakes