This super simple to make Cajun Crab Spread is packed with amazing bold Cajun and Crab flavors. Serve it over butter crackers, Triscuits, Wheat Thins, or toast points at your next pool party, family reunion, or church potluck and watch the crab lovers faces light up with delight over the Cajun treat.
Cajun Crab Spread combines decadent crab meat, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Colby-Jack cheese, celery, red bell peppers, spring onions, Crystal hot sauce, Slap Ya Mama Cajun spices, and a pinch of thyme for that perfect Cajun-inspired appetizer to serve to family and friends.
You’d be hard-pressed to find an excellent Southern Pool Party without a deliciously flavorful dip or spread on the table, especially during barbecue season when a lot of people gather around the pool deck. Cajun Crab Spreads are a fabulous low-maintenance option for get-togethers. Toss some ingredients in a food processor and combine. That’s it. About an hour later, you’re good to go with the perfect appetizer to get your party started.
To always have an excellent Cajun or Cajun-inspired experience, you must first understand the importance of using the proper spices. Let’s talk a bit about Cajun spices used in Les Canadiens or Les Acadiens Cuisine; cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, black and white pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, ground cloves, dried basil, and thyme are commonly used in Cajun recipes.
Often, a common misconception by folks not familiar with Cajun or Creole cooking; is substituting Old Bay seasoning for a Cajun Spice blend. They are apples compared to oranges; Old Bay seasoning has a mix; mustard, paprika, celery salt, bay leaf, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, mace, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger. While Old Bay is a fantastic spice blend for a New England Clam Bake, the results will not be the same for a Cajun recipe.
You can easily round-up a few good Cajun spice blends in your local grocery store or online that contain these most of the ingredient listed; such as Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning or even Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning as a substitute to cut the cost of the spices if you do not cook Cajun Cuisine regularly.
Ingredients needed for the recipe
Twelve-ounces of cream cheese softened
Four-ounces of Colby-Jack cheese shredded
Twelve-ounces of crab meat
1/3 of a cup of mayonnaise
One tablespoon of Crystal hot sauce or to taste
One teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
One tablespoon Cajun seasoning or to taste
1/2 of a teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 of a cup of minced celery
1/4 of a cup of minced red bell peppers
Three spring onions chopped.
Dice 12-ounces of cream cheese, place in a food processor and allow to soften for about 15 minutes before adding other ingredients.
Place 4-ounces of Colby-Jack cheese, 12-ounces of crab meat or imitation crab meat in a food processor, 1/3 of a cup of mayonnaise, one tablespoon of Crystal hot sauce, one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, juice of 1 lemon, one tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning, and 1/2 of a teaspoon of dried thyme. Run food processor on low till all mentioned ingredients are joined.
Using a plastic spatula scrape mixture from the food processor into a large glass dish, add 1/2 of a cup of minced celery, 1/4 of a cup of minced red bell peppers, and three chopped spring onions. Fold all ingredients until evenly combined.
Refrigerate until ready to serve, best if refrigerated at least 1 hour.
Serve with various crackers.
Frequently asked questions
How do I soften the cream cheese? I usually place my creme cheese out on a counter about 45 minutes before making my recipe. Do not use a microwave to soften it.
The recipe calls for Colby-Jack cheese can I use another cheese? Try a mild cheddar cheese in place of the Colby-Jack.
The recipe calls for Crystal hot sauce can I use the hot sauce I have on hand instead? That’s fine, but I do not recommend anything but Cajun Hot sauces.
Can I use Miricle Whip instead of Mayo? I do not suggest using Miricle Whip the integrity will be ruined.
I do not have Cajun seasoning, but I do have creole seasoning can I use it? It tastes better with the Cajun seasoning, but in a pinch, yes.
How long will this last in the refrigerator? It will safely last up to 4 days. After that, I would discard the rest.
Cajun Crab Spread
- 12 ounces Cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces Colby-Jack cheese shredded
- 12 ounces Lump Crab meat or imitation crab meat
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Crystal hot sauce or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dry prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1/2 cup Minced celery
- 1/4 cup Minced red bell peppers
- 3 Spring onions chopped.
- Dice 12-ounces of cream cheese, place in food processor and allow to soften for about 15 minutes before adding other ingredients.
- Place 4-ounces of Colby-Jack cheese, 12-ounces of crab meat or imitation crab meat in a food processor, 1/3 of a cup of mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of Crystal hot sauce, 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning, and 1/2 of a teaspoon of dried thyme. Run food processor on low till all mentioned ingredients are joined.
- Using a plastic spatula scrape mixture from food processor into a large glass dish, add 1/2 of a cup of minced celery, 1/4 of a cup of minced red bell peppers, and 3 chopped spring onions. Fold all ingredients in till evenly combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, best if refrigerated at least 1 hour.
- Serve with various crackers.
Don’t Forget to use the Pin or Print Options to Save for Later!