Citrus Salad with Avocados is a wonderfully simple yet refreshing salad, that highlights this season’s beautiful sweet Cara Car oranges, juicy Navel oranges, vibrant Blood oranges, and buttery avocados over a bed of artisan lettuce, topped with Spanish olives and light citrus and olive oil dressing.
It’s simply gorgeous here in Florida this late February, we have been in the mid-’80s for the last few weeks, so I wanted to share a wonderful salad with Y’all showcasing the winter Citrus harvest and delicious buttery avocados with an amazing citrus dressing that’s almost spoon licking good.
After spending a year living near Memphis, it’s chilly in February there mind you, this year I am happy to be back here in Florida, enjoying the warm sunshine and my favorite ingredients being readily available to share with Y’all readers on the blog. Don’t get me wrong I adore the Memphis, Tennessee, Olive Branch, Mississippi area and people, but Florida is where my heart is, it’s my comfort zone.
Please forgive me, I know it’s a little random and slightly off-topic, however, I wanted to take this time to introduce my newest child, meet Little Miss Luna Linn, for those of you that have been here long enough you already know my middle name is Linn and the story behind how I am actually named after my Uncle Linn and now so is adorable Miss Luna Linn. Isn’t she the sweetest Y’all? My husband actually took this picture of Luna with his iPhone when she sat down under our tree in the front of the house.
Ok, Ok, Y’all I’m going to head back to the Citrus Salad with Avocados. One of the awesome things about this refreshing salad is even if you aren’t here in the South you can usually find Cara Cara oranges, Blood oranges, and Navel oranges across the country from about early December to Mid-March. Just keep an eye out for them in the produce departments at your local stores.
Things you will need to make this Citrus Salad with Avocados recipe
Cara Cara oranges
Black Spanish Olives
Extra virgin olive oil
Lemon juice and zest
Local pure honey
Fresh ground black pepper
Citrus Salad with Avocados
- 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 2 Blood oranges
- 2 Navel oranges
- 2 heads of Artisan lettuce
- 6 Spring onions
- 2 Ripened avocados
- 24 Black Spanish Olives
For the Dressing
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 3 Lemons
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Local pure honey
- Kosher Salt to own taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to own taste
- Slice the all unpeeled oranges into rounds, using kitchen shears carefully remove the peels by slicing around the orange. Place the oranges on a clean dry surface until needed.
- Chop 2 heads of artisan lettuce in a large bowl.
- Thinly slice the spring onions and add to the bowl
- Peel and dice the 2 avocados, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on them if needed before adding to the bowl, and add Spanish olives to the bowl.
- In a glass bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, pure honey, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper by whisking till smooth.
- Toss the lettuce and other ingredients before placing on a platter and layering the oranges on top.
- Drizzle some dressing on the salad before serving reserving some for placing on the table if desired.
- Serve immediately
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2019-2013 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with proper and specific direction to the original content.