Southern Buttermilk Salad Dressing is a deliciously smooth, flavorful, homemade, Southern-Style salad dressing that our family has made for years to enjoy over our favorite salad greens and fixings. Made with buttermilk, creamy mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, organic apple cider, and fresh herbs, Southern Buttermilk Salad Dressing brings a tempting flavor burst to any salad.
It’s that time of the year where we are all chopping up fresh greens and crisp veggies, trying to shed a few of the holiday pounds, yet still enjoy a bit of flavor to our food. Just like everyone else, Southerners enjoy a good salad at lunch as a side to our meals at dinner time. This Southern Buttermilk Salad Dressing is one of my favorite homemade go-to recipes to pour over my greens.
We love our Buttermilk and Mayonnaise so much you will find them in many of our iconic Southern-Style recipes in the South. Fried Chicken? You guessed it; we use buttermilk to brine the chicken to make it juicy and delicious. Mayonnaise? We use that creation in almost anything right down to our Chocolate-Mayonnaise Cakes. It’s a just Southern thing, Y’all, and we live for bold, creamy flavors in our recipes.
Today, I decided I was in the mood for a healthy salad made with fresh greens, ripe avocados, grape tomatoes, juicy strawberries, and sweet plump blueberries with a good dose of my favorite homemade Southern Buttermilk Salad Dressing drizzled over the top of it. How can you go wrong with that combination? Sometimes I add white chicken breast strips to my salad, but today I wanted to enjoy it as a side versus a meal.
This salad dressing is pretty straightforward and easy to make; however, I wouldn’t call it a diet dressing Y’all. If you’re looking for a diet salad dressing, you’re looking at the wrong recipe. Now you can make a few adaptions to the method to make it more diet-friendly such as using fat-free buttermilk, light mayonnaise, or yogurt, and Splenda Sweetener instead of sugar, but I can promise you it will not even remotely taste the same.
Southern Buttermilk Salad Dressing ingredients
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
Southern Buttermilk Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons Organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Parsley Finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tarragon Finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic finely minced + more if desired
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- Kosher salt to own taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- Combine all the listed ingredients and the seasoning in a glass bowl and mix well. Whisk in the cold buttermilk until the dressing is smooth and creamy. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before using over your favorite salad greens.
- Refrigerate remaining dressing in a container that has been tightly covered for up to 4-5 days safely. After 5 days discard any remaining salad dressing.
Don’t forget to save the recipe by using the Pin and Print Options Available!
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2021-2013 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with proper and specific direction to the original content.