Sloppy Joe Sliders are one of my delicious variations of an iconic childhood favorite turned into a fun slider sandwich that’s awesome as a dinner option or even appetizer. You are totally going to love the flavorful homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce that has simple ingredients you probably have in your kitchen now.
Sloppy Joes have been called by many names over the years; Yum Yums, Barbecues, Dynamites, Slushburgers, Sloppy Janes, Steamers, and even Wimpies. Sloppy Joes are an All American creation that has been around since sometime in the early 1950s. It’s been said that a cook named Joe at Floyd Angell’s café in Sioux City, Iowa, added a bit of tomato sauce to his “Loose Meat” sandwiches and Wa la the Sloppy Joe was born.
I was one of those children that never got served a Sloppy Joe by either one of my parents growing up. That was something that I did, however, enjoy when I spent the night at my best friend Stacy’s house and sometimes at school for lunch. By the way, our Lunch Lady at the high school did not make very good Sloppy Joe’s at all.
When my son was little I used to occasionally buy the canned Manwich Sauce and doctor the sauce up a bit by sautéing some diced onions, green bell peppers, and celery in a little butter and tossing in a little bbq sauce to enhance the taste more. Needless to say, that was the 90’s and I didn’t win parent of the year. LOL! ( I really am laughing out loud too about this)
Over the years, I have really tried to change some of my unhealthy cooking habits and be more health conscious by using organic fresh ingredients in our recipes, and not using what I like to call convenience items so much. That’s pretty much how this recipe became revamped and I am totally glad because believe me it tastes better than any Sloppy Joe sauce from a can.
I like using organic free-range lean ground beef, along with all organic veggies, tomato sauce, and ketchup in my recipe. However, Y’all use what you like or can fit into your budget. It’s still going to be totally delicious and flavorful if you can’t use the organic ingredients.
Before we get started on this recipe Y’all, I am going to place you in my mindset; have you ever heard Adam Sandler’s song titled Lunch Lady Land that he did for SNL? If not Google it or listen to is on Youtube…Don’t hate me if it gets stuck in your head. Oh, it’s hilarious! Let me know in the comments if you have heard it or not and your thoughts.
Ingredients needed for Sloppy Joe Sliders
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds of lean ground Beef, 93/7
- 1 and 1/2 cups organic ketchup
- 3/4 cup Water + more if needed
- 2 tablespoons of cane brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder or to own taste
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to own taste
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of organic tomato paste
- kosher salt, to own taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to own taste
- 2 packages of slider rolls of your choice
- Freshly shredded white cheddar cheese
- Melted unsalted butter, to brush
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1 Yellow onion diced
- 1 Green bell pepper diced
- ⅓ cup Celery finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds Lean ground Beef 93/7
- 1½ cups Organic ketchup
- ¾ cup Water + more if needed
- 2 tablespoons Cane brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chili powder or to own taste
- 1 teaspoon Spicy brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon Red pepper flakes or to own taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Organic tomato paste
- Kosher salt to own taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- 2 Packages of slider rolls of your brand
- Freshly shredded white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Melted unsalted butter to brush
- cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
Add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to skillet over medium heat, once butter has melted, add yellow onion, green bell pepper, celery, and minced garlic. Cook until the veggies are softened about 6-7 minutes. Add the lean ground beef, 97/7 preferred. Cook until lean ground beef is completely browned, breaking up as it cooks. Drain fat if need be.
Add the organic ketchup, cane brown sugar, chili pepper flakes, spicy brown mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 25 minutes, adding kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to your own taste. Next, add the organic tomato paste, and the Worcestershire sauce. Taste and adjust your seasonings if desired.
In a pretreated metal or glass baking dish place bottoms of sliders in baking dish, spoon the sloppy Joe mixture on the bottoms of the sliders, add the desired amount of white cheddar cheese on the Sloppy Joe mixture, place tops on slider rolls, brush with the melted unsalted butter, and place in a preheated 350 degrees oven, bake for 15-20 minutes.
Serve while hot with the desired side dish of your choice or as an appetizer.
Don’t forget to save the recipe by hitting the Pin and Print Options!