Penne pasta, blackened chicken, roasted asparagus, and cherry tomatoes covered in a thick, rich, creamy alfredo sauce really make this Penne with blackened Chicken, Asparagus, and Cherry Tomatoes recipe such a deliciously flavorful dish for the family dinner table.
Sadly Summer is coming to an end and if you are like me, you have an abundance of fresh garden grew veggies you are trying to use up; this Penne with blackened Chicken, Asparagus, and Cherry Tomatoes is definitely the perfect recipe to help you use up some of the leftover tomatoes and such from the garden.
Let’s chit-chat about some of the ingredients, I prefer making my alfredo sauce from scratch for this recipe, but if you are completely limited on time you can use your favorite brand of alfredo sauce in this recipe to save some time. Trust me the world won’t come to an end over you doing so.
I have used garden fresh organic vegetables in the recipe, however, you can easily pick up organic from the farmers market to use in your recipe. Keep in mind if you can not/don’t use organic ingredients once again the world won’t come to an end over that either, I promise Y’all. * WINK *
Blackening the chicken breast is really an important part of this recipe, you don’t have any blackening spice on hand? Combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, coarse ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried sweet basil, and dried oregano in a small bowl until evenly mixed. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place if you have any left over. It’s that easy Y’all!
Another important step to making this delish recipe for Penne with blackened Chicken, Asparagus, and Cherry Tomatoes will be the roasted cherry tomatoes and asparagus; you will want to use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil to toss them in, and instead of using your normal method of seasoning them with plain old kosher salt and fresh ground pepper you will use a bit Cajun seasoning to bring them up a taste level. I usually use Slap Ya Mama, but you use what you enjoy in yours.
Penne with blackened Chicken, Asparagus, and Cherry Tomatoes
- 16-ounces of uncooked chicken breast
- Blackening spice
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of asparagus, ends removed, halved
- Cajun seasoning, to own taste
- olive oil
- Alfredo Sauce
- 1 pound of pasta, cooked al dente
Homemade Alfredo Sauce for 1 pound of pasta
- 1 and 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- kosher salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups of Parmesan cheese
Directions for Homemade Alfredo
In a metal saucepan, warm the unsalted butter and heavy cream. Season with kosher salt, white pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir slowly until melted and creamy.
Directions to make the recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Oil both sides of the chicken breast and season the chicken breasts with blackening spice. Heat a large lightly oiled cast iron skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes until it is smoking hot. Place the chicken breasts in a very hot cast iron skillet and cook for 3 minutes on each side before turning, do not move around in the cast iron till time to flip. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking the chicken till no longer pink inside and no juices are running. About 6-7 more minutes total on low heat. Remove the cast iron from heat source and place the chicken on a platter to cool. Once cooled slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Spray a metal baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Snap the end pieces off the asparagus and place them on the metal baking sheet keeping them on one side, then add the cherry tomato halves to the other end of the baking sheet. Drizzle a very small amount of extra virgin olive oil on the vegetables. Season them generously with Cajun seasoning and place in oven and bake for about 10-13 minutes or until asparagus softens slightly. Remove the pan from the oven and reserve till needed.
- While vegetables are in the oven cook the penne pasta by following the directions on the back of the box to cook al dente.
- At this time make your homemade alfredo sauce by following the directions above or simply heat your favorite brand Alfredo sauce till hot.
- In a large pasta dish combine pasta, blackened chicken, roasted asparagus, roasted tomatoes, and alfredo sauce and toss till all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Serve immediately.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2017-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.