This Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Recipe is of those spicy to die for yet surprisingly healthier recipes, an excellent combination of cauliflower coated in a deliciously crispy batter, then baked and tossed in a homemade Buffalo Sauce to create a simple and delicious appetizer that would be perfect for vegetarian friends, impromptu get-together, or even game night.
You are seriously going to love this recipe for Buffalo Cauliflower Bites because it cuts the calories from traditional Buffalo Wings in a few ways by swapping cauliflower for the usual chicken wings and baking the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites in the oven instead of frying them in oil.
I’m not even going to kid Y’all. I am one of the many folks who’ve jumped on the cauliflower bandwagon over the years. My love affair with cauliflower all started with Mock Mashed potatoes several years ago. I still, to this day, don’t know how this vegetable became so darn delicious in mock recipes over the years, but it’s a favorite go-to faux ingredient these days for several methods.
My family members are not huge fans of blue cheese dressing, so we opt for a Homemade Ranch Dressing that’s super easy to make and pairs well with the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites. However, if you are a blue cheese lover, feel free to enjoy your blue cheese by all means. Don’t forget to add some veggies on the side like crisp carrots and crunchy celery for everyone to munch on with the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites.
This recipe for Buffalo Cauliflower Bites is a great vegetarian alternative to greasy Buffalo wings cooked in oil. Breaded cauliflower stands in for the standard chicken wings, all baked to perfection for a crispy mock Buffalo wings sensation at your next gathering. Serve with Homemade Ranch Dressing if desired.
Pro tips for Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Look for a head of cauliflower that has a creamy white color with densely packed florets that are free of blemishes, or any brown spots.
The cauliflower head should feel heavy in your hand for its size.
Take a good whiff. If the cauliflower has a strong or foul smell, it’s past its date and will probably have an unpleasant taste to it.
To cut a head of cauliflower into florets, quarter the cauliflower head through the stem and then cut away the small piece of core from each of the quarters. Then cut the cored cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
Rinse the cut-up pieces of cauliflower in a colander to remove any residual dirt. Use a dry clean kitchen towel to pat the cauliflower dry before cooking.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Recipe
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large cauliflower cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup hot sauce your brand
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Homemade Ranch Dressing see the blog post for link
- chopped parsley to garnish
- celery sticks
- carrot sticks
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a metal baking sheet with cooking spray
- In a glass large bowl, whisk together self-rising flour, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the buttermilk and water until smooth. Toss the bite-sized cauliflower in the batter until evenly coated.
- Spray the metal baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the battered cauliflower bites onto a pan. Try not overcrowd the pan or the cauliflower will steam become as crispy as it should. You use two metal baking sheets.
- Bake cauliflower for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the hot sauce and butter in a small metal saucepan on low heat until the butter melts.
- Remove the cauliflower bites from the oven and toss with the hot sauce mixture.
- Return the cauliflower bites to the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with Ranch dressing, celery sticks, and carrots on the side.
Use the Pin and Print options to save this Buffalo Cauliflower Bites recipe!