Buffalo Cauliflower Bites are one of those spicy to die for yet surprisingly healthier recipes, a wonderful combination of cauliflower coated in a deliciously crispy batter, then baked and tossed in a homemade Buffalo Sauce to create a simple and delicious appetizer that would be perfect for vegetarian friends, impromptu get-together, or even game night.
You are seriously going to love this recipe for Buffalo Cauliflower Bites because it cuts the calories from traditional Buffalo Wings in a few ways by swapping cauliflower for the usual chicken wings and baking the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites in the oven instead of frying them in oil.
I’m not even going to kid Y’all, I am one of the many of folks who’ve jumped on the cauliflower bandwagon over the years. My love affair with cauliflower all started with Mock Mashed potatoes several years ago. I still to this day don’t know how this vegetable became so darn delicious in mock recipes over the years, but it’s definitely a favorite go to faux ingredient these days for several recipes.
My family members are huge fans of blue cheese dressing, so we opt for a Homemade Ranch Dressing that’s super easy to make and really pairs well with the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites. However, if you are a blue cheese lover feel free to enjoy your blue cheese by all means. Don’t forget to add some veggies on the side like crisp carrots and crunchy celery for everyone to munch on with the Buffalo Cauliflower Bites.
This recipe for Buffalo Cauliflower Bites is a great vegetarian alternative to greasy Buffalo wings cooked in oil. Breaded cauliflower stands in for the normal chicken wings; all baked to perfection for a crispy mock Buffalo wings sensation at your next gathering.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Recipe
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup butter milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup hot sauce, your brand
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of minced chives
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- chopped parsley to garnish
- celery sticks
- carrot sticks
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a metal baking sheet with cooking spray
- In a glass large bowl, whisk together self-rising flour, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir in the buttermilk and water until smooth. Toss the bite-sized cauliflower in the batter until evenly coated.
- Spray the metal baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the battered cauliflower bites onto a pan. Try not overcrowd the pan or the cauliflower will steam become as crispy as it should. You use two metal baking sheets.
- Bake cauliflower for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the hot sauce and butter in a small metal saucepan on low heat until the butter melts.
- Remove the cauliflower bites from the oven and toss with the hot sauce mixture.
- Return the cauliflower bites to the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with Ranch dressing, celery sticks, and carrots on the side.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2017-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.