These delicious boozy Southern-style Bourbon Meatballs are going to be the hit of your next gathering; be ready for people to immediately run over to the meatballs on the buffet table and beg for this retro Southern recipe.
There’s nothing like a great recipe that highlights a few Southern favorites, such as Bourbon, Barbecue sauce, marmalade, and a slow cooking Crock-Pot appetizer. Mention these four things to any Southerner hosting a gathering and trust me, you have their full devoted attention.
Pull up a chair, and let’s chit-chat for a spell about these amazing Bourbon Meatballs Y’all. Let’s talk about the Bourbon. Use a bourbon you enjoy drinking because that is the flavor you will be tasting when you sink your teeth in these juicy, tender, Bourbon Meatballs.
Here are my top 5 favorite Bourbons
EH Taylor Four Grain
Old Forester 1920
Bulleit Cask Strength
Maker’s Mark Private Select
You don’t have to use one of the Bourbons I have listed above; you can use what you like. Those are just some of the favorites that I usually have on hand. Heck, you can even substitute Jack Daniels for the bourbon if you have it at the house. Also, if you don’t want to buy a fifth of liquor, you can buy a half-pint from the store if you are only using it for the recipe.
These Bourbon Meatballs are so simple to make for any gathering this summer or Holiday Season. They also freeze well; if you want to make a double batch, sure to store them properly in the freezer, then thaw, and reheat on a shallow setting to enjoy at any time of the year.
Ingredients need for Southern-Style Bourbon Meatballs Recipe
1 and 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound of ground pork
One sleeve of townhouse crackers, crumbled
1/2 cup finely chopped Vidalia onion
1/4 of a cup of chopped parsley
One teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
One egg lightly beat
2-3 tablespoons of oil for frying
1/2 of a cup of marmalade
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 of a cup of quality bourbon
1 cup of barbecue sauce
One tablespoon of blackstrap molasses *optional*
1/4 cup water
Southern-Style Bourbon Meatballs Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds Lean ground beef
- 1 pound Ground pork
- 1 sleeve Townhouse crackers crumbled
- ½ cup finely chopped Vidalia onion
- ¼ cup Chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil, for frying
- Bourbon Glaze
- ½ cup Marmalade
- ¼ cup Light brown sugar
- ¼ cup Quality Bourbon
- 1 cup Barbecue sauce,
- 1 tablespoon Black-strap molasses *optional*
- ¼ cup Water
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, ground pork, cracker crumbs, onion, parsley, Cajun seasoning, and lightly beaten egg. Form 1 inch meatballs by rolling the meat with your hands until a ball is formed.
- Place a large cast iron skillet on a burner set to medium heat. Once cast iron skillet is warm add the oil and let it heat up. Place the meatballs in one by one leaving plenty of space so that they brown evenly. Continue in batches until all meatballs are browned and done. Remove and place on a serving dish till needed.
- In a medium bowl combine marmalade, light brown sugar, bourbon, barbecue sauce, blackstrap molasses, and water with a whisk.
- Place fried meatballs in a Crock-Pot set on low. Add the Bourbon sauce mixture and cook the meatballs in the sauce mixture on low setting for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to coat meatballs evenly.
- Serve while warm with extra sauce on the side for dipping.