This delicious tasting easy to make Chickpea Salad combines all of my favorite organic garden fresh vegetables in one fabulous easy recipe. The chickpeas are combined with zucchini, vine ripened tomatoes, sliced green onions, sweet yellow bell peppers, drizzled with a virgin olive oil and lemon dressing.
One of the things I love most about this Chickpea Salad the ability to have staying power in the refrigerator. The other thing it’s a cinch to throw together in about 15 minutes or less, and you have the perfect salad for almost any meal this summer.
I don’t know about Y’all, come the August heat here in the South, I am almost totally against anything that requires me to turn on a burner or oven. It’s just too darn hot and muggy to mess around with extra heat sources if I don’t have a really good reason. Crisp cold salads like this Chickpea Salad become second nature this time of the year. A little chopping and tossing and I have a healthy side my family loves.
Y’all can see that the ingredients are as simple. Organic fresh vegetables are my first choice in this salad, however, if you don’t have access to organic farm fresh veggies, no worries; just try to stick to locally grown fresh produce. Why stick to locally grown foods you ask? The crops are picked at their peak of ripeness/freshness instead of being harvested early to be shipped and distributed to market.
No cooking will be needed to make this delicious tasting Chickpea Salad; all you do is chop the fresh veggies and toss them with the homemade lemony dressing. Place the salad in the fridge for an hour or two, if desired. This salad is so versatile for lunches over mixed baby greens, but it’s also perfect as is. You can also add a cup of cooked Orzo or Ditalini to the Chickpea Salad to make it more hearty if you want.
Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1-15- ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 2 cups diced Roma tomatoes
- 4 spring onions sliced thinly
For the dressing:
- 1/2 of a cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- a pinch of sugar, optional
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
Directions for Chickpea Salad
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and then add to a large salad bowl.
- Wash all veggies and prepare as listed above in recipe.
- Add chopped yellow bell pepper, chopped broccoli florets, diced zucchini, diced Roma tomatoes, and thinly sliced spring onions to the salad bowl.
- In a small bowl combine with a small whisk, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, parmesan cheese, a pinch of sugar (optional), kosher salt, and ground pepper.
- Drizzle the homemade dressing over the Chickpea Salad and toss to combine the ingredients.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 + hours or serve immediately.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2017- 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.