Memphis-Style Coleslaw hits the most important notes when it comes to taste and texture slightly tart, sweet, creamy, oh so crunchy—there’s so much to love when it comes to Memphis-Style Coleslaw. Made with pure Southern-Style love; combining crunchy cabbage, green pepper, crisp carrots, and red onion, with a delightfully sweet creamy homemade sauce
Have you ever been to a Memphis Bbq joint? If not Y’all, you’re totally missing out on some of the best Southern-Style Slaw in the South. Just picture yourself cozied up to some delicious tender Bbq and a nice creamy side of Memphis-Style Coleslaw. It sounds perfect on a warm summer day, doesn’t it? Can you almost taste it, can’t you?
Living near Memphis is sometimes called a Blessing and a Curse. You have no idea the amount of trouble a person can get into with the aroma of Southern food wafting through the air. I have to tell you my addiction for Pulled Pork Sandwiches topped with Memphis-Style Coleslaw gets feed often. But what’s a person to do if they aren’t located near Memphis? That’s why I am sharing this recipe with Y’all today so you can enjoy a bit of Southern yumminess too.
This recipe has been one of my most friend and family requested recipes over the years and not to toot my horn but damn it’s delicious –BEEP BEEP! What’s not to love about a good old Southern-Style Coleslaw? It’s perfect to serve with Bbq’d chicken and pulled pork. Heck, it’s even perfect for a topping of your favorite all beef hotdogs too. Yep, it’s just that damn good.
Let’s talk about our coleslaw and the importance of using only mayonnaise in this recipe Y’all. I know some of you are Miracle Whip fans and of course, I still love you and all –but please use mayonnaise or it drastically changes this recipe into something else. Just this once come to the Darkside with me and use Mayonnaise.
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 of a cup of apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 of a cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt or to taste
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of white pepper
- 4 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded purple cabbage
- 1 large green pepper finely diced
- 1/2 of a cup grated carrots
- 1 medium onion grated
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, white pepper, and the celery seeds.
- Add the shredded cabbage, shredded purple cabbage, finely diced green pepper, grated carrots, grated onion, and toss to combine until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate the Memphis-Style Coleslaw for an hour or more before serving.
- 2 cups Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cups Apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Celery seed
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon White pepper
- 4 cups Shredded cabbage
- 1 cup Shredded purple cabbage
- 1 large Green pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup Grated carrots
- 1 medium Onion grated
In a large glass bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, white pepper, and the celery seeds.
Add the shredded cabbage, shredded purple cabbage, finely diced green pepper, grated carrots, grated onion, and toss to combine until evenly coated.
Refrigerate the Memphis-Style Coleslaw for an hour or more before serving.