The perfect Southern-Style Egg Salad starts with a blend of creamy and slightly crunchy textures coming together with bright, fresh flavors. It’s not even particularly fancy, there are no special secret ingredients just old-fashioned goodness piled on top of rich butter crackers or freshly baked slices of homemade bread.
This delicious Southern-Style Egg Salad is the perfect lunch idea that will have you wondering why you didn’t make more of it for the family to enjoy. Southern-Style Egg Salad is super easy to make combining hardboiled eggs, Duke’s mayonnaise, thinly sliced celery, sweet Vidalia onions, green olives, scallions, pimento, and yellow mustard served on rich buttery crackers.
There’s something very comforting about enjoying a batch of cold Southern-Style Egg Salad on deliciously buttery crackers with a glass of fresh brewed iced tea on a warm day. I’ll admit it like most of us Southerners, I enjoy comfort foods and Southern-Style Egg Salad is one of those comfort foods that come to mind during the hot summer days.
When I make my Southern-Style Egg Salad, I tend to make a fair amount of it because, I know that everyone enjoys it, especially me. Key words being especially me. Honestly, I prefer it on butter crackers but will settle for a nice thick slice of homemade bread if need be.Mayonnaise is in my book is a personal experience, a high expectation, one most of us in the Southern states prefer over Miracle Whip, don’t get me wrong I know plenty of Southern folks who enjoy using it in their recipes and if you are one of them simply substitute Miracle Whip for my Dukes mayonnaise. Eat what you enjoy is what I always say.
Don’t be afraid to add a few of your favorite ingredients to this recipe. I have added a touch of smokey chopped bacon to mine from time to time, as well as a few other favorites. Live a little, have fun in the kitchen, enjoy your food, and not necessarily in that order either.
Southern-Style Egg Salad
- 8 eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and roughly diced
- 1/4 cup of Dukes mayonnaise
- 1 stalk of sliced celery
- 1/4 of a cup of finely diced sweet Vidalia onion
- 2 scallions thinly sliced including greens
- 5-6 green olives thinly sliced, optional
- 1 tablespoon of diced pimento
- 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard
- 1/4 of a teaspoon apple cider mustard
- salt to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Directions for SOUTHERN-STYLE EGG SALAD
- Peel and rinse 8 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chop of dice them depending on your personal preference.
- In a medium bowl combine, Duke’s mayonnaise, sliced celery, diced sweet Vidalia onions, thinly sliced scallions, sliced olives, diced pimento, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper to own taste.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes before serving on top of butter crackers or fresh bread.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2017- 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.