Southern Creamy Crab Dip is one of the snacking staples found in my house during late spring and early summer. Made with a big heap of traditional Southern love and delicious tasting ingredients; such as imitation crab meat, cream cheese, mayonnaise, minced celery, red onions, spring onions, diced pimento peppers, diced jalapeño, fresh chopped parsley, dill, and Cajun seasoning.
I know many of y’all have had the pleasure of tasting a hot crab dip, but if you haven’t had a cold Southern Creamy Crab Dip you have been missing out on a good thing. This dip is perfect for entertaining during poolside parties, family picnics, and even card night with the besties.
This Southern Creamy Crab Dip really should be called a Creamy Crab Spread but somehow over the years this cold, creamy, decadent, southern deliciousness became known as Creamy Crab Dip. Don’t ask me who did it or how it happened, somewhere along the way someone decided spread was not in the cards and just renamed it.
I love this Creamy Crab dip on rich butter crackers, Townhouse Crackers or Ritz as some of y’all lovely folks call them. You can even serve the Crab Dip on crusty bread if you like, really whatever you most enjoy that’s my motto. Heck grab a spoon and dig in if you please.
I also like being a little dramatic and serving diced imitation crab meat and parsley on the top of my Creamy Crab Dip just to show everyone what to expect out of this delicious tasting Southern snack; imagine a Southern girl being dramatic? Have you ever heard such a thing? Okay, you probably have and that’s fine, we are a little dramatic at times that’s just part of our nature.
Let’s talk about this imitation crab meat, yes I know some of y’all hate it with a passion, so let’s just save us some time here, you can certainly spend about $24.00 or more for the lump crab meat at the store and use instead if you want, nothing wrong with that if you have the extra cash.
Southern Creamy Crab Dip Recipe
- 2-8-ounce packages cream cheese softened
- 1/2 of a cup real mayonnaise
- juice of one fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
- 16-ounces of imitation crab or lump crab meat, diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 2-ounces of diced pimentos
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- 1/4 of a cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 of a cup minced red onions
- 1/4 of a cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 of teaspoon of dill weed
Instructions for Southern Creamy Crab Dip
- Place 2 packages of cream cheese in a medium bowl, let soften for about 35-40 minutes.
- Add real mayonnaise, juice of 1 lemon, Worcestershire sauce, and Cajun seasoning to the bowl; combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Dice the imitation crab meat and add to the cream cheese mixture, do not stir the crab in yet.
- Add minced jalapeño pepper, diced pimento peppers, sliced spring onions, diced celery, minced red onions, chopped parsley, and dill weed. Fold in and gently combine the ingredients.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight for the best results.
- Garnish with diced crab meat and chopped parsley before serving if desired.
- Serve with butter crackers or your favorite brand of crackers.