Mention Dill Pickle Dip to me and I will proclaim to you, it to be, What dreams are made of on a warm spring day here in Mississippi. It’s that deliciously simple to make dip we love to serve at family shindigs and church potlucks. I mean just the ingredient list alone gives me endless smiles thinking about it; cream cheese, crunchy baby dill pickles, red onions, fresh dill weed, minced garlic, and a subtle hint of Cajun Spice to bring it together.
Dill pickle dip reminds me of those delicious little ham, cream cheese, and dill pickle pinwheel sandwiches we devoured in the 80’s and 90’s as children. It’s the perfect dip to serve with crunchy kettle chips, soft pita bread, or your favorite crackers. Trust me if you love dill pickles you are surely going to swoon over this Dill Pickle Dip recipe.
Here in the South, we don’t wait for Game Days or the Christmas holidays to break out our favorite dips and spreads; those recipes are an all year round affair. We love to serve them at our gatherings and watch them disappear off the table like nobody’s business. In fact, we wait in anticipation to see how fast they vanish.
I like using those crunchy baby dill pickles in my recipe for Dill Pickle Dip, they just seem to have that wonderful crunchy texture and the perfect amount of dill pickle flavor. I always save about 5-6 of them that I thinly slice and use as a garnish for the top of the Dill Pickle Dip. Just gives it that fancy schmancy look we all love to see.Some recipes don’t call for dill weed, but heeey bring that dill weed on honey; is my motto, the more dill flavor in my Dill Pickle Dip the better. Also, I see a lot of folks recipes stating chill for 3 hours and serve. Oh, nooo ma’me, do yourself a favor let that sit overnight, heck even 24 hours and you’ll taste the best flavorful Dill Pickle Dip ever. I have been known to let mine sit 2 days before serving. It’s like a fine wine, it only gets better with age darling.
Some of you are licking your chops in divine anticipation of this delicious Dill Pickle Dip recipe, aren’t you? How can you not be super excited to bring together these amazing American favorites of, cream cheese, crunchy baby dill pickles, red onions, fresh dill weed, minced garlic and a subtle hint of Cajun Spice?
Dill Pickle Dip Recipe
- 2-8- ounce packages cream cheese softened
- 2 cups diced garlic baby dill pickles
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 of a cup baby garlic dill pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon of dill weed
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 or 5 baby dill pickles sliced for garnish
- Kettle chips, pita bread, or crackers to serve
Instructions for recipe
- Place cream cheese on the counter and let rest 45 minutes to 1 hour to soften.
- Dice 2 cups of baby garlic dill pickles and reserve.
- Dice 1 small red onion and reserve.
- Mince 1/2 of a tablespoon of garlic and reserve.
- Once cream cheese has softened, place in the food processor, add 1/4 of a cup of dill pickle juice, 1 tablespoon of dill weed, Cajun seasoning, and freshly ground black pepper. Process till all seasoning is incorporated into the cream cheese.
- Remove cream cheese mixture from the food processor and place in a glass bowl, fold in diced dill pickles, red onion, and minced garlic. Stir till joined.
- Place the glass bowl in the refrigerator and let set 8 to 24 hours. You may serve before that time period but trust me you’ll thank me if you wait 8-24 hours.
- Stir before serving, garnish with the sliced baby dill pickles.
- May be served with kettle chips, pita bread, or crackers.