Crisp broccoli, Pink lady apples, celery, cranberries, raisins, shredded carrots, and sunflower seeds come together to make an amazing salad with delicious flavors and various textures. The creamy dressing on top makes this Broccoli Apple salad absolutely delicious.
Broccoli Apple salad is one of those salads that’s so deliciously good, it’s hard to remember it’s the main ingredient is broccoli. Broccoli has long been a love-hate relationship with many adult and children alike over the years. However, Broccoli Apple salad recipe has always been a huge hit with my children and family thankfully.
I totally love broccoli as long as it’s not just bland steamed broccoli tossed on my plate. That’s where I draw the line with broccoli. I also won’t eat overcooked broccoli; it’s just kinda downright gross. What’s your broccoli pet peeve?
These tiny green mini trees we call broccoli are known for being pushed off the plates of children and adults alike around the world, but broccoli’s reputation as one of the healthiest veggies still holds true by the various statistics.
What are some of the health benefits of eating broccoli?
- Decreased risk of diabetes
- Decreased risk of heart disease
- Decreased risk of some cancers
- Improved digestion and natural detoxification
- Healthy complexion and hair
- Better bone health
- Overall mortality
- Increased energy
- Lower weight.
Fresh, young broccoli should not taste woody or sulfurous. To make sure you get the best tasting broccoli, store the unwashed fresh broccoli in a loose-fitting or perforated plastic bag in the refrigerator’s crisper drawer. Only wash the broccoli right before consuming, as wet broccoli may develop mold and become limp.
Broccoli Apple salad is sure to be one of your favorite broccoli recipes for potlucks or any get-together. This easy to make broccoli apple salad is perfect for summer lunches or as a fresh dinner side dish. It has just the right amount of creamy flavor to make this broccoli apple salad a recipe you’ll want to make again and again.
Broccoli Apple Salad
- 5-6 cups fresh broccoli florets, about 3 medium heads
- 1/2 of a cup shredded carrots
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2 ribs of celery sliced
- 4 Pink Lady apples, chopped
- 1/2 of a cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 of a cup of raisins
- 1/4 of a cup sunflower seeds
Creamy dressing ingredients:
- 3/4 of a cup of mayonnaise
- juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- In a large glass bowl combine broccoli florets, cup shredded carrots, diced red onion, sliced celery, chopped Pink Lady apples, dried cranberries, raisins, and sunflower seeds.
- In a small glass bowl combine mayonnaise, juice of 2 lemons, sugar, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper to own taste.
- Add salad dressing mixture to large dish and toss ingredients to combine the salad dressing and veggies.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018- 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.