Every busy household should have a delicious go-to recipe for a quick, easy, tasty meal on the weeknight when they are hard pressed for time. My easy go-to meal in our household is my Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo recipe; combined with a rich, thick, creamy homemade Alfredo sauce with grilled chicken and fresh broccoli that has me in and out of the kitchen in no time.
I love marinated grilled chicken and make it often, so we often have leftover grilled chicken in the refrigerator, which is perfect for a jumpstart on making my Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo recipe on a weeknight a little faster. So don’t be afraid to use leftover chicken versus starting from scratch when making this recipe. Just marinate the boneless skinless chicken in olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper for about an hour. Grill till done.It’s that simple to make.Next for the broccoli bring about 1/4 inch of water to a boil in a large metal pan. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt and broccoli florets to the metal pan. Cover the metal pan and steam until about 3-5 minutes for crisp-tender florets. Drain and reserve till needed.
Alfredo sauce can be a taboo subject among old school Italian cooks; many will be the first to remind you “Alfredo sauce” is almost completely nonexistent in Italy, although there are many recipes for pasta sauces that combine butter and Parmigiano. For example, gnocchi, egg noodles, and meatless ravioli are served with melted butter and freshly grated Parmigiano cheese the recipe is simply titled “al burro”, with butter. In Rome, Italy egg noodles with butter and Parmigiano are often called, “Alla Romana”, roman-style. Just don’t expect to find anything titled “Alfredo Sauce” in Italy, as it’s actually an American-Italian recipe versus a Traditional Italian recipe.
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo recipe
- 3-8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned and grilled
- 1 head of broccoli cut in bite-sized pcs and lightly steamed
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- a pinch of nutmeg
- red pepper flakes to own taste
- Kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 pound of cooked pasta
- Lemon slices
- In a medium saucepan or metal skillet, warm the unsalted butter and heavy cream.
- Season the unsalted butter and heavy cream with parsley, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the Parmesan and stir continuously until melted.
- Reduce the heat source to the lowest setting.
- Slice the grilled chicken and then add the sliced chicken to the alfredo sauce, next add the bite-sized broccoli to the alfredo sauce and completely turn off the heat source.
- Toss in your favorite cooked pasta adding some of the pasta water if desired to thin sauce.
- Serve while hot on your favorite pasta dishes.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon slice over pasta if desired.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2017- 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.