Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet

September 24, 2016

Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet is a combination of crabmeat, cabbage, celery, sweet red bell peppers, mild cheddar cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, soy sauce, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and a touch of seasoning. The Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet is then baked to bubbly perfection in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes.

If you live near the Olive Branch, Mississippi, or Memphis area, chances are you may have visited the Hunan Chinese Buffet on Goodman Road. It’s the Mississippi hot spot for lunch after church and always packed. There’s a Crab Casserole on their American side of the buffet table that my mom loves so much. Every Sunday after church, she piles a little on her plate and devours it, proclaiming it to be good.

Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet While my mom was at work, I decided to make the Copycat version of Hunan Chinese Buffet and surprise her tonight; it turned out delicious. It only took me about 40 minutes from start to finish to make it’s so quick and straightforward to put together and only needs to bake for 30 minutes.

Let’s talk a bit about the ingredient crab. Hunan they use imitation crab meat; now, some of you wonder what exactly imitation crab meat is? Is it fake meat? What is it made from? Some of you think, oh, heck. No, I’m not about to eat imitation crab meat, heck to the NO!

Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet is a combination of crabmeat, cabbage, celery, sweet red bell peppers, mild cheddar cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, soy sauce, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and a touch of seasoning. The Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet is then baked to a bubbly perfection in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes.Those of you wondering what imitation crab meat is made from Imitation Crabmeat is processed seafood made of starch and finely pulverized white fish, aka surimi, then shaped and cured to resemble the meat of snow crab or Japanese spider crab. Compared to real crab meat, imitation crab has less fat and calories. However, it may also contain sodium, food coloring, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Pyrophosphate, gluten, and sugar.

Now, what are my thoughts on this? I think everyone should make their own food choices; however, I like to keep you informed on ingredients, Y’all, as you know from following this blog. By all means, if you enjoy imitation crab and it is more cost-efficient, who am I to tell you to pay through the nose for lump crabmeat? Use either-or.

Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese BuffetYou can easily use either lump crabmeat or imitation crabmeat in the recipe below, whichever fits your budget, or you enjoy most, Y’all. At the Hunan Buffet, they use imitation crab meat, and my mom loves it, so I have made my Copycat Crab Casserole using imitation crab meat. You can use whichever you prefer in yours.

Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet

Information on Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet

Suggested Canned Lump Crab Meat to use in Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet

1. Miller’s Select Claw Crab Meat
  2. Crown Prince Fancy White Crab Meat
  3. Chicken of the Sea Fancy Crab Meat
  4. Consul Crab Meat
  5. Bumble Bee Crab Meat
  6. Phillips Foods Super Lump Crab Meat
  7. Lump Blue Crab Meat
  8. Premium Lump
  9. Reese Fancy 15% Leg Crabmeat
  10. Vital Choice Wild Dungeness Crab

Different types of canned crab meat

• Colossal Lump Crab Meat is the master of them all and is simultaneously the most expensive one in the market. The reason why it gets so heavy on your pocket is the extinction of blue crabs, which are quite challenging to find out nowadays.
  • Jumbo Lump Crab Meat – this one fits like an excellent dining option. You will have to pay more for it as it is the big hunk of white meat that comes with very few cartilage and shells. They take extra care and remove this unwanted part before packing the crab can.
  • Backfin also called the Backfin Lump– This is extracted from the same body parts of the crab-like jumbo one, but the lumps are broken. In this, you will find some large as well as some small pieces of the meat. You will also have more shells and cartilages mixed in.
  • White Meat or Special – This one is quite a great combination of jumbo lump blue crab and some claws and is generally flaked. As the claws are present, it has got some sweet-filled flavor in it.
  • Claw Meat- this one has got a rich, delicious flavor that you won’t find in other parts

Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet

hmccallum
4.91 from 32 votes
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
Total Time 50 mins
Course Appetizer, Side Dish
Cuisine American, Chinese
Servings 8 People
Calories 288 kcal

Ingredients

• 16 ounces lump crab meat may sub with imitation crab
  • 2 cups raw cabbage finely shredded
  • ¼ cup celery thinly sliced
  • cup red bell peppers diced
  • cup mild cheddar cheese finely shredded
  • 8- ounces cream cheese softened
  • ¼ cup sour cream
  • ¼ cup mayonnaise do not sub
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • ½ teaspoon soy sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 pinch kosher salt
  • cooking spray

Instructions

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • In a medium glass bowl, combine crab meat, shredded cabbage, celery, diced red bell peppers, 1 ¼ cup of mild cheddar cheese, softened cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, juice of 2 lemons, soy sauce, garlic powder, sugar, and a pinch of salt.
  • Prepare a glass baking dish with cooking spray, then add combined ingredients to the baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese, then cover the baking dish with foil.
  • Place in a preheated 350-degree oven and bake for 30 minutes.
  • Serve while still hot with crackers, bread, or by itself as a side dish to your meal.

Notes

Although themccallumsshamrockpatch.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and how ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will themccallumsshamrockpatch.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your reliance on nutritional information.

Nutrition

Serving: 01Calories: 288kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 17gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 757mgPotassium: 232mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 725IUVitamin C: 15mgCalcium: 198mgIron: 1mg
Keyword Copycat, Crab, Crab Casserole
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!

Use the Print or Pin it Options to save for later!

Copycat Crab Casserole from Hunan Chinese Buffet

If you in the Olive Branch, Mississippi area, stop by and try the real deal on the Hunan’s buffet. You won’t regret it!

Brenda Questore
    August 14, 2020 at 11:19 am

I came across this recipe while looking for something to do with imitation crab meat that I had. It is my favorite recipe and I seek it out at a buffet. Spot on! This is exactly what it is! Reading the comments about the idea about putting it on pasta and tortilla chips, I also think it would be good on a baked potato or even a piece of fish! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this recipe, it made my day!

hmccallum
      August 14, 2020 at 11:49 am

Thank you so much, Brenda! My mom loves this recipe, and I have used it for so many occasions. You can use it in so many ways or just as side. I have also used it to fill clamshells and bake for a cute appetizer.
      Heidy

Kayla Nicole Adonetti
    August 9, 2020 at 1:52 pm

This was so good!! Thank you!! I didn’t have cabbage the first time though. Making again tonight and I have cabbage this time so I will add it in!

Pam
    June 20, 2020 at 11:56 am

This was a great recipe! I made it and it turned out fantastic! Thanks for sharing I will be saving this to make again.

hmccallum
      June 21, 2020 at 8:53 am

Thank you so much! I appreciate your candid feedback! Have a wonderful day!

Chris
    April 29, 2020 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I did a few tweaks. I skipped the cabbage. My local buffet doesn’t have it in their version, so I wanted to mimic theirs since I really like it. I added some extra celery instead. Also, my place uses more mayo. I didn’t increase it in this batch though Again, everyone’s local place is different. Just sharing what my place does in case others want to tweak theirs. Overall, VG+. Thanks for posting it.

hmccallum
    April 15, 2020 at 6:30 am

Good morning- do you have a question we can help you with?

In fairness, a reader or follower has the right to rate a recipe as they see fit. That means good or bad. Thank you for your personal opinion.

However, did you make the recipe, and it not turn out, or are you just complaining due to whatever the case maybe? If you have made the recipe and it did not turn out, please let me know how I may assist you.

Frequently I find when a recipe does not come out as suggested, it is due to not using the recommended ingredients. These brands are low grade, or adding elements that are not called for, leaving details out, or not following instructions. Let me know how to help you—what changes you made, or anything from the above that may or may not have occurred.

I also find that instead of being snarky, you will usually get further by a simple “Can you help me?” instead of dictating what rating my followers should have left. I know we are in trying times and all a little frustrated, but be kind and be respectful.

The Admin

Becky
    December 18, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Do you think folding in egg whites into the recipe the next time I make it would add a souffle type softness to it? I really enjoyed it but wanted to try something else with it.

hmccallum
      December 18, 2019 at 11:11 pm

Good evening, Becky. This recipe is a copycat recipe for Hunan’s Buffet. I don’t think that doing or adding the eggs that would benefit their method in any form — best of luck to you in your endeavors. Unfortunately, I do not think your idea would enhance this recipe.

Have a beautiful night

Becky
    December 17, 2019 at 11:27 pm

I was just wondering if the cabbage still is tough after cooking it?
    Thanks in advance. I will come back to let you know how it turned out but it looks awesome.
    Becky

hmccallum
      December 18, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Good morning, Becky.
      The answer is no the cabbage will not be tough. Shredded cabbage usually isn’t tough, to begin with—hence coleslaw. The cabbage comes out perfect.
      Thanks for dropping by and asking
      Heidy

AmyJo Vazquez
    July 30, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Just genius – Never have I substituted cabbage for pasta. I added cauliflower to your recipe – wonderful!

hmccallum
      July 31, 2019 at 10:55 am

Hey there, Amy Jo, actually I have never thought of it myself. This recipe doesn’t actually sub cabbage for pasta, it’s a copycat recipe from a Chinese Buffet. However, that may well be an idea lol! Good thinking. I really appreciate you dropping by to share your experience and idea. Have a wonderful day.

Ann
        October 24, 2020 at 12:12 pm

I made this last weekend and didn’t have cabbage so i subbed spaghetti squash ave it was delicious! Today, I have cabbage so in going to try it again the right way. My kids even loved it. Thank you!!!

hmccallum
          October 25, 2020 at 11:33 am

That’s so awesome to hear Ann. My family loves this and now we are going to try your version with the spaghetti squash too! Totally excited. (Don’t tell my mom lol)

Marcia
    June 26, 2019 at 6:54 am

Perfect reply. Now, what would you recommend that I serve with it? I love the recipe by the way it was awesome. I just don’t know what I should make with it.
    Thanks

hmccallum
      June 26, 2019 at 8:12 am

Good morning Marcia, usually when I make it we sometimes serve Beef and broccoli, Chinese Chicken Wings, Asian Noodles, potstickers, etc just a random Asian-Style menu.
      I have also used it as an appetizer and served with tortilla chips which went over great.
      I would serve Asian based items that you enjoy eating and or making.

Hope that helps you!
      Have a great day!

Marcia
        June 26, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Super. Can’t wait!

hmccallum
          June 26, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Enjoy, Marcia!
          Have a great day, come back and let me know what you decided to serve with it.

Marcia
    June 25, 2019 at 5:52 pm

I made this as a main dish– I think it would be better as a side or app

hmccallum
      June 25, 2019 at 5:58 pm

I think it’s more of a side …I would definitely think it wouldd be a little too rich I think as a main course.

Hope that helps!