Mexican-Style Creamed Corn is the perfect simple to make, almost foolproof side dish for almost any meal you enjoy corn with, combining a deliciously sweet, freshly picked, organic corn on the cob, rich heavy cream, a drizzle of organic honey, sweet unsalted butter, a touch of minced jalapeño peppers, chopped organic cilantro and a hint of freshly squeezed lime juice to really bring out the wonderful flavors of the freshly picked sweet corn.
I love this time of year, the sweet corn is in full swing here on the Tennessee, Mississippi border and there is nothing that compares to using the freshest, sweetest, juiciest, corn on the cob you can find over at the farmers market when you’re considering making this recipe for Mexican-Style Creamed Corn.
Creamed Corn has always been a touch and goes subject with me if I can make it from scratch I simply adore the sweet yummy flavor, however, I am pretty much anti-canned corn these days, and meh on frozen corn most of the time. I know sometimes we have to substitute a few fresh ingredients during the winter freeze if I have to substitute corn than I guess I would pick frozen organic corn over the canned corn any day.
Corn on the cob has been a summer staple ingredient that our family seriously enjoys, I could almost eat corn on the cob almost every day, couldn’t you? The one thing I love about fresh corn is the fact you can have a blast trying new recipes for the family and usually 9 out of 10 times you can guarantee they will love your recipe? Speaking of great Corn on the Cob, have you tried my Southern Milk and Honey Corn yet? If not it’s a definite must-try that went viral on Pinterest this summer in no time flat.
I am fairly picky about my ears of corn that I am purchasing at the farmers market, I have a little list of things I like to do to make sure my corn is the best for my buck. I also try to practice a little proper corn picking etiquette at the farmers market; so as not to destroy someone else’s corn by ripping open that husk and peeking at the corn. Yeah, that sure is a pet peeve of mine, have you ever seen people slaughtering corn at the market? Here are a few sure-fire tips on how not to annoy everyone around you and still pick the best corn on the cob.
Here are a few sure-fire tips on how to pick corn w/o peeking inside the corn husk
- Go to a local reputable Farmers Market, you always want the freshest quality corn possible.
- Gently feel the corn kernels through the husk. You will want to make sure that the kernels are plump; if you feel any holes where the corn kernels should be, then pick another.
- Look at the corn on the cobs tassels; if it’s a light brown and a little sticky to the touch it’s ok. If it is dry or black, then it’s an old ear of corn, put it back in the bin.
- Check out the color of the husk. If it’s a bright green and tightly wrapped against the cob, then the corn is fresh.
- Carefully look for any small brown holes in the corn husk, be sure to look towards the top as well. Those small brown holes are most likely wormholes in the corn on the cob.
If you love a good creamed corn with a little Mexican flair, this recipe is definitely for you. It’s a simple yet outstanding way to use up corn on the cob that talks very little time to make and trust me when I say, this Mexican-Style Creamed Corn is soo darn delicious it’s almost ridiculous.
Ingredients needed to make the recipe
- 8 large ears of organic corn husked and removed from cob
- 2 jalapenos finely minced
- 2 tablespoons organic honey
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Kosher Salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- chopped cilantro
Mexican-Style Creamed Corn is the perfect simple to make, almost foolproof side dish for almost any meal you enjoy corn with, combining a deliciously sweet, freshly picked, organic corn on the cob, rich heavy cream, a drizzle of organic honey, sweet unsalted butter, a touch of minced jalapeño peppers, chopped organic cilantro and a hint of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 8 large Organic corn cobs, husked and removed from cob
- 2 medium Jalapeno peppers, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Organic honey
- 2 Limes juice of
- 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- Kosher salt to own taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Cold water or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Chopped cilantro
Cut the tips off the corn on the cob, then cut the kernels from the corn on the cob with a small sharp paring knife, place in a glass bowl large enough to hold 8 ears of corn after being removed from the cob.
Finely mince 2 jalapeno peppers and place in the glass bowl with the corn.
Whisk together the organic honey, all-purpose flour, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Combine with the corn. Add the heavy cream and water/stock at this time.
In a large metal skillet over low-medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the unsalted butter.
Add the corn mixture to the metal skillet and turn heat source down to low, stirring until it becomes creamy about 30-35 minutes.
Add the last tablespoon of unsalted butter and chopped cilantro right before serving.
Save this recipe simply by using the Pin and Print Options!