Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers aren’t your ordinary old Jalapeño Poppers that you’ll find at your local watering hole or Bar and Grill, these deliciously spicy, smoky Jalapeño peppers have been hollowed out, then filled to the brim with cream cheese that has been seasoned with Cajun seasoning then wrapped in thick slices bacon and grilled to perfection on the Bbq.
If you loved the original-style Jalapeño Poppers, these Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers are going to totally blow your mind as soon as you pop one in your mouth; you’re going to wonder why you ever settled for merely serving those breaded and fried Jalapeño Poppers all these years for appetizers. I almost can imagine you murmuring to yourself, “For the love of Bacon why did I wait so long to try these delicious tasting addicting appetizers?”
Have you ever had the original poppers that were jalapeño stuffed with cream cheese or sometimes mild cheddar cheese, then battered and deep-fried? Basically, they pretty much remind me of an Americanized spicier version of Chiles Rellenos you can find served in most Mexican restaurants. Tasty sure, but not considered in my book to be damn delicious like Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers.
Now the first thing I want to talk about is the importance of understanding that the heat of this pepper is in the seeds and membranes of the pepper so you might want to carefully hollow out your Jalapeño peppers carefully and not leave behind any seeds or membranes unless you and your dinner guests really like spicy hot foods; trust me on this one. I also like to rinse my hollowed Jalapeño out and re-scrape just to make sure I’m not going to light up and unsuspecting guest.Another thing you can do to make your life easier is purchasing one of the Jalapeño Popper stands that hold whole Jalapeño peppers perfectly in place while you cook them on the grill. You can easily find them at your local Home Depot and Lowes store for a little of nothing. I think I paid 10 bucks for mine at Home Depot. It actually holds up to 36 Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers. Heck, Y’all that is the perfect amount of these yummy appetizers for a small impromptu dinner party.Can’t you just imagine tasting these deliciously spicy, smoky, Cajun seasoned cream cheese filled Jalapeño Poppers, wrapped in thick sliced bacon? Mmm, maybe 36 isn’t enough of these bad babies you might want to double your recipe.
You are going to love to have simple and easy this recipe for Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers are. Trust me you will have your delicious appetizers ready in no time flat for your next get-together or game night.
Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
- 36 hollowed clean large Jalapeño peppers
- 2-8-ounce packages of room temperature cheese
- 2 tablespoons or to own taste Cajun Seasoning
- a pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- a few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- Kosher salt to own taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to own taste
- 36 slices of thick bacon
- 36 toothpicks
- Wash the Jalapeno peppers in cold tap water, then remove the tops of the peppers with a sharp knife. Remove all the seeds and membranes with the tip of the sharp knife. I usually rinse them to be sure all the seeds are removed.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the room temperature cream cheese, Cajun Seasoning ( I used Slap Ya Mama Brand, but you already know that by now) a pinch of ground cayenne pepper, a few dashes of Tabasco sauce, kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper to own taste. Use a hand mixer to combine all ingredients.
- Use a piping bag with a large tip, to fill the clean and deseeded jalapeño peppers with softened cream cheese until the jalapeño pepper is full. Smooth the tops by scraping a knife over the top. Use a clean damp paper towel to wipe clean any cream cheese that may be on the outside of the cream cheese stuffed jalapeño pepper.
- Preheat the gas or charcoal grill to medium heat
- Wrap 1 slice of thick sliced bacon around the cream cheese filled Jalapeño evenly, secure with a wooden toothpick before placing in the metal Jalapeño Popper stand.
- Once the grill has preheated place the metal Jalapeño Popper stand that you have filled with Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers and reduce heat to more of a low-medium heat. Cook on the grill till the Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers are completely roasted and the bacon is crisp.
- Remove the Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers from the grill and let cool for about 5-6 minutes before removing from the metal stand and serving with your favorite Ranch dipping sauce or choice of sauce.
NOTE: This recipe makes 36 Southern-style Bacon wrapped Jalapeño Poppers, you may cut the recipe by cutting in 1/2 or even 1/4 of the amount easily if desired.
— Heidy L. McCallum (@ShamPatchCrew) December 4, 2016
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018- 2013 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.