Deliciously creamy Loaded Cauliflower Mash made with a touch of real butter, sour cream, white cheddar cheese, topped with bacon, scallions, and a mild cheddar cheese that will have you thinking you are not missing those Loaded Mashed Potatoes laden in extra calories one bit.
What’s not to love about Loaded Cauliflower Mash? It is a lower calorie, lower carb, version of one of you favorite hearty comfort foods; with a ton of flavor and all your favorite goodies you love eating on your loaded mashed potatoes without all the guilt from eating more calories and carbs from the original mashed potato recipe you make for dinner.
The very first time I tried plain mashed cauliflower, I actually fell in love with the idea back in the late 90’s, it was really perfect for my new low carb diet I was following at the time to shed a few extra pounds I had put on that winter. However, unlike this recipe, it really was fairly plain tasting yet really good.
I still try to watch some of my carbs being a lover of all Southern comfort foods and we all know that most of the time those heavenly recipes can really pack on a few pounds if you don’t learn a little balance with the Southern menu plan. Besides eating healthy doesn’t mean we have to bore ourselves to death at dinner, does it? No, it sure does not mean that.
Now before we go further y’all know that Bacon, butter, cream, and cheese do not fall into the diet group, however, this yummy recipe is lower calorie and low carb compared to its rival. This recipe was such a delicious alternative to our normal loaded mashed potatoes my husband actually had seconds which is seriously surprising to me, so now we can also say this wonderful low carb recipe alternative is husband tested and definitely approved for future use.
Loaded Cauliflower Mash
- 1 head of fresh cauliflower
- 1 tablespoons of real unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground black peppercorns to own taste
- 3-ounces of white cheddar freshly shredded
- 3-ounces of mild cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 6 slices of crisp bacon chopped
- 1/4 of a cup of chopped scallions
- Remove stem and any leaves from the fresh cauliflower, rinse the head of cauliflower well.
- Place a metal skillet on medium heat to heat before, adding the bacon to the skillet; cut the heat under the skillet to a lower heat settings cook the bacon till browned and crisp. Remove from the skillet and place on a lined platter to drain excess oils off.
- Add water to a larger steamer post to fill line, place the steamer basket inside and place the head of cauliflower in the large steamer. Steam the cauliflower till tender and soft. Remove the steamer basket of cauliflower and set to the side to slightly cool.
- Once the cauliflower has cooled slightly using a fork lightly break down the cauliflower into chunks and place in a large heavy-duty food processor, add unsalted butter, sour cream, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and the white cheddar cheese-pulse processor till the cauliflower becomes a mashed potato like consistency. Do not over process.
- Place the mashed cauliflower in a serving bowl, top with crisp bacon, scallions, and mild cheddar cheese before serving.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch,2016- 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms