Mexican Rice with Corn is a flavorful yet simple and utterly delicious Mexican-Inspired recipe that pairs well with almost any of your favorite Mexican Dishes; combining long grain rice with fresh green bell peppers, red bell peppers, Spanish onion, minced garlic, organic non-GMO corn, and seasoned to perfection with Mexican Spices.
When we were children my mom used to make Spanish rice, which really is somewhat similar but yet different. I learned to make Mexican Rice with Corn from a friend of mine when I moved to South Florida and totally fell in love with her fabulous version of Mexican Rice with Corn.
I love serving this recipe with my Enchiladas, Fajitas, Tamales, and even tacos on Mexican night. Trust me in this house we aren’t just eating this deliciousness during Cinco De Mayo or on Dia de Los Muertos, we are subject to have Mexican or Tex-Mex at least once every 2 weeks .
I love the vibrant yellow-orange color of the Mexican Rice with Corn which comes from the Sazon Seasoning which basically contains achiote, kosher salt, freshly ground black peppercorns, granulated garlic, ground coriander, cumin, and Mexican oregano. You can pretty much find Sazon seasoning in the Ethnic section of most markets on the East Coast, however, if you can not you can simply make a batch of your own.
Now did y’all notice the ingredients? You will notice a few things: one they are mainly organic farm fresh items; in which you can substitute fresh vegetables from the market for the organic if desired or frozen corn for the fresh organic non-GMO corn. The other thing you will notice is this recipe is actually a Vegan version that has no animal oils, or chicken broth so feel free to share with your Vegan friends; they’ll be happy you did.
Mexican Rice with Corn
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 cup of organic non-GMO corn removed from the cob
- 1/2 of a cup of organic minced green bell pepper
- 1/2 of a cup of organic minced red bell pepper
- 1 organic jalapeño pepper seeds removed and minced
- 1/4 of a cup of minced Spanish onions
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup 2/3 cup of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1-10-ounce can of diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 packet of Sazon seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of cumin
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups of organic long grain uncooked rice
- juice of 1 lime, optional
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, optional
- Place a metal skillet on medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the metal skillet, once heated add corn, minced green bell pepper, minced red bell pepper, minced jalapeño pepper, Spanish onions, and 2 minced cloves of garlic, sauté for about 2-3 minutes to soften before removing from heat-reserve.
- Add low-sodium vegetable broth to a 3-quart saucepan place on high heat to bring to a boil, then add diced tomatoes with chiles, oil, Sazon seasoning, dried oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and long grain rice cook on high about 2-3 minutes stirring a few times, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Cook on low heat about 14 minutes.
- Turn off the heat source and let rice sit undisturbed and covered about 5 minutes before fluffing the Mexican Rice with Corn with a fork.
- Sprinkle rice with the juice of 1 lemon and garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch,2016- 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.