Baked Spicy Breaded Cajun Chicken Wings are finger licking good without all the saucy mess you’d expect; Spicy Breaded Cajun Chicken Wings are soaked in rich buttermilk and hot sauce overnight, deliciously seasoned with spicy Cajun seasoning and made with a crispy crunchy Cajun-style Batter for the perfect outcome.
These scrumptious Baked Spicy Breaded Cajun Chicken Wings are the bomb, they are perfect for an appetizer on game day or a casual family dinner setting. I love that you can toss these bad babies in the oven and they come out crispy and crunchy, yet tender and definitely juicy.
Now guys and gals, I’m not even gonna lie I take the easy road with Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry Batter that’s made right in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry Batter is what I call a wet-dry batter; what’s a wet-dry batter you’re wondering? You simply mix a bit of water with a small amount of the batter, dip your chicken, and then dread it in the rest of the dry batter; easy peasy
I happened to be at my local market awhile back, looking at some of the fry batters and ran across this Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry Batter, being a fan of Cajun food and Cajun-inspired foods I decided it might be worth trying; I sure am glad I did because it’s one of the best purchases I’ve made in a while. The first time I made these Baked Spicy Breaded Cajun Chicken Wings my husband himself ate almost 3-4 pounds of chicken wings in one setting; talk about a great first run on my recipe.
I love a good spicy chicken wing, but I’m telling you I hate having sauce all over my hands, so these Spicy Breaded Cajun Chicken Wings have made my life and my friend’s life a little less messy on gameday and on casual get-togethers at my house. Plus I don’t have to worry about anyone getting sauce all over my carpet or couch.
Warning: Be ready to officially be addicted to these chicken wings; these Baked Spicy Cajun Chicken Wings are just that damn delicious! Don’t say I didn’t warn you that a chicken wing intervention may need to take place.
Be sure to come back to the blog after you make these yummy Baked Spicy Cajun Chicken Wings and let me know how you like the recipe by commenting in the comment section, I love hearing feedback from Y’all!
Things you will need:
- Paper towels
- A large plastic container with a tight-fitting a lid
- a colander
- 2- large bowls
- 2-metal baking sheets
- Basting brush
- Serving platter or lined baskets to serve
Spicy Breaded Cajun Chicken Wings
- 6-7 pounds of whole chicken wings pin feathers removed
- 1 quart of buttermilk or 4 cups
- 4 tablespoons of hot sauce
- 2-packages of-9-ounce- Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry Batter
- 1 cup of ice-cold water
- 1 tablespoon of Cajun Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- a pinch of ground red cayenne pepper
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter, optional
- hot sauce to serve
- Rinse the chicken wings to remove any unwanted debris, pluck out any of the remaining pin feathers before using the chicken wings. If desired remove the tips of the chicken wings using a sharp knife. Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels or a clean towel.
- In a large plastic container add 1 quart or 4 cups of buttermilk and 3 tablespoons of hot sauce, stir to combine the buttermilk and hot sauce.
- Place the clean chicken wings in the large plastic container with the buttermilk and hot sauce, soak overnight in the refrigerator or 8 hours; turning a few times.
- Remove the chicken wings from the buttermilk mixture; place in a colander to drain excess brine off of the chicken wings.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Place 10 tablespoons of the Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry Batter in a medium bowl; add 1 cup of cold water to the batter.
- Place the remaining Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry Batter in a large bowl, add Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, dried thyme, and a pinch of ground red cayenne pepper, mix in the spices thoroughly.
- Dip each chicken wing into the wet batter, then place in the dry batter, making sure to evenly coat the wings, then place on a baking sheet that you have prepared with a touch of cooking spray. Don’t overcrowd those chicken wings; give them some room to breathe ladies. You will need a few baking sheets or to cook in a few batches.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 to 50 minutes; if you have a few spots that haven’t browned simply use a basting brush and little hit them with a bit of melted butter; careful not to rough them Baked Spicy Breaded Cajun Chicken Wings up and knock off that yummy breading.
- Place wings on a platter or lined baskets for your guests, serve with hot sauce on the side.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.