Quinoa with Parmesan Cheese and Broccoli is a delicious and extremely filling meal or side dish; combining one of the best-known superfoods of non-GMO White organic Quinoa, organic fresh broccoli florets, low-sodium organic vegetable broth, authentic extra-virgin olive oil, lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, fresh organic dill weed, and freshly grated quality parmesan cheese.
When my family are around; they are what I call a true meat and potatoes crew, which I guess works well for those of you that enjoy comfort foods, yet also want to eat more healthy foods as well. You can tell by the blog for the last few months the meat and potatoes crew have been around.
Today was my day; I decided to use it to make a super simple, fresh, delicious, hearty yet healthy meal of Quinoa with Parmesan Cheese and Broccoli to celebrate my day off from work and the absence of meat and potatoes crew.
Don’t get me wrong this girl loves comfort food; however, her waistline does not like it so much these days. I just can’t eat like that all the time. I would have to be at the gym 24/7 and would still be struggling with all the excess calories. The struggle is real for me avoiding those comfort foods that I love and grew up with. So yeah, a balance has to be key in this household- raise your hand if you feel me on that one. I know you do!
Quinoa with Parmesan Cheese and Broccoli
- 1 cup non-GMO White organic Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon of authentic extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of organic low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh organic dill weed
- kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground peppercorns to own taste
- 1 cup of tiny fresh organic broccoli florets lightly steamed
- 1/2 of a cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Rinse the white quinoa well under cold running tap water in a fine-mesh strainer; drain well and reserve.
- Heat the authentic extra virgin olive oil in a metal saucepan over medium heat; add the thinly sliced garlic, sauté the garlic until a light golden brown in color.
- Next add the low-sodium vegetable broth to metal saucepan; raise the heat up to high, add the rinsed white quinoa, zest of lemon, lemon juice, fresh dill weed, kosher salt and freshly ground peppercorns to your own taste to the vegtable broth and bring to a roiling boil.
- Place a tight-fitting lid on top of the metal saucepan; turn the heat down to low and cook until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in lightly steamed fresh tiny broccoli florets and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.