Best BBQ’d Meatloaf has a delicious hint of smokey Kansas City Style BBQ sauce, lean ground beef, ground turkey, mild ground sausage, celery, onions and Parmesan cheese combined with dried herbs and spices to make the perfect economical meatloaf dinner.
Meatloaf has almost taken on an almost gourmet facelift in this day and age, today’s basic Meatloaf made at home can be a combination of any one of these ground meats; ground beef, pork, veal, venison, lamb, and sometimes ground poultry. I decided to use a delicious, flavor combination of lean ground beef, ground turkey, and ground mild sausage in my recipe for Best BBQ’d Meatloaf today.
It has been said that meatloaf has European origins; meatloaf made of minced meat was mentioned in the famous Roman cookery collection Apicius as early as the 5th century. Meatloaf is a traditional German and Belgian dish, and it is a cousin to the Dutch meatball. The American-style of meatloaf we are all familiar with has origins in Scrapple, a mixture of ground pork and cornmeal served by German-Americans in Pennsylvania since Colonial times.
Did you know as of 2007; meatloaf was voted the seventh-favorite dish in the United States according to Good Housekeeping magazine? During the Great Depression, making meatloaf was an economical way to stretch the food budget, using an inexpensive type of meat and other ingredients as veggies and leftovers; along with spices. It was also popular to add cereal grains, bread or saltines to the meatloaf to stretch the meat.
Best BBQ’d Meatloaf
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/2 of a pound ground turkey
- 1/2 of a pound ground mild sausage
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 stalk of celery finely diced
- 1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 of a cup parmesan cheese
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of dried basil
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of onion powder
- kosher salt to own taste
- fresh ground pepper to own taste
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 of a cup of Kansas city style BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 of a cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In an extra-large heavy-duty food processor or large bowl combine; lean ground beef, ground turkey, ground mild sausage, finely diced onion, finely diced celery, seasoned bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, 2 tablespoons of Kansas City Style BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, evaporated milk, and 2 eggs lightly beaten.
- Pulse the food processor a few times; before turning the food processor on low for a very short time to combine all ingredients thoroughly. Do not over process. If you do not have a food processor you will need to combine all ingredients by hand thoroughly.
- Work and shape the mixture of meat into a large loaf, place in metal baking dish.
- Glaze the top of Best BBQ’d Meatloaf with Kansas City Style BBQ sauce
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or till done.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for about 7 minutes and slice to serve.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.