A delicious hearty Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup guaranteed to sooth your soul and fill your belly with warmth this fall; combining homemade Italian Sausage meatballs, a rich tomato and vegetable soup base with fresh Italian-style vegetables, Italian herbs, and topped with Romano cheese
There’s something about October even in Florida that makes me want my favorite childhood soups. I’m not sure if it’s all the family memories connected, a force of habit, or if I’m just a soup monster. I love my soups in the fall that’s for sure.
I’m not exactly sure how this Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup recipe came in to play with my grandmother, however, I am certainly glad it came about. When you love Josie’s soup you don’t question where she got the idea, you just eat and enjoy it with a crusty slice of Italian bread and lot’s of Romano cheese and freshly torn basil.
Italian recipes really rarely are a recipe that is written in stone, I have found over the years; depending on where your family is from and the ingredients they have had access to will depend on the ingredient list they will use. Chances are if your family is from Northern Italy you really won’t be eating comparable recipes with Southern Italy or Sicily.
Here is our family’s version Of Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup…
Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon of authentic olive oil
- 4 of stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots finely diced
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely sliced (razor-thin)
- 16-ounces of vegetable stock
- 28-ounces of organic tomato sauce
- 2-14-ounce cans of fire roasted organic tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of organic tomato paste
- 3 – (15 ounce) cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of diced zucchini
- 1 cup of Italian green beans
- 2 tablespoons of dried Italian Herb blend
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound quality Italian sausage links
- 1/4 of a cup of grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 of a cup of seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of evaporated milk
- 3 cups of small pasta cooked al dente
- Romano Cheese, to serve
- chopped fresh basil
- In a Dutch Oven heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat, place thinly sliced celery, diced carrots, and onion; sauté for about 2-3 minutes, add razor-thin sliced garlic, cook another minute careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add 16-ounces of vegetable stock to the Dutch Oven, 28- ounces of tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of organic tomato paste, the drained and rinsed cannellini beans, diced zucchini, Italian green beans, Italian Herbs, chopped Italian parsley,dried basil, cayenne pepper, and kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the soup about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine the Italian sausage, Romano cheese, and seasoned bread crumbs thoroughly. Make tiny meatballs about the size of marbles and drop into the soup that is simmering; cook for about another 16-18 minutes or till meatballs are completely done. Stir the soup occasionally after the first 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of cooked small pasta shells to Dutch Oven and simmer about 3-5 minutes longer
- Ladle bowls and top with Romano cheese and chopped basil if desired. Serve with crusty Italian bread.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.