Baked Cajun Cauliflower Bites are a favored appetizer at our football parties; they are the very first menu item to quickly disappear. Made with fresh cauliflower that has been dipped in farm fresh eggs, seasoned bread crumbs, Romano cheese and kicked up to the next level with Cajun seasoning and herbs it’s sure to be a winner at your next gathering too.
Cauliflower has become a truly diverse ingredient these days, I mean we use it in faux mashed potatoes, healthy pizza crusts, and even as a substitute for rice in our fried rice recipes, among other clever ideas. What can I say its diversity makes it a winning ingredient.
Did you know?
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. It is a very good source of choline, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, phosphorus, and biotin. Additionally, it is a good source of vitamin B2, protein, vitamin B1, niacin, and magnesium.
I’m not going to do anything nearly as creative as the cauliflower fried rice or cauliflower pizza crust; I am going to just do a healthier, simple baked version of my Fried Cajun Cauliflower that we love to make during the football season to share with our friends and guests.
Baked Cajun Cauliflower Bites
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 of a cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 of a cup of grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/4 of a teaspoon oregano
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground pepper to own taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- dash of hot sauce
- non-stick cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut 1 large head of cauliflower into medium-sized florets.
- Place in a steamer and steam till tender, yet still firm. About 4-5 minutes. Remove from steamer, place in the colander and rinse in cold water to stop cooking process. Let the cauliflower drain.
- Place 1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs, 1/4 of a cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 of a cup of grated Romano cheese, 1 tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, 1/2 of teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of dried thyme, 1/4 of a teaspoon of oregano, a pinch of cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper to own taste in a glass bowl; stir ingredients together to mix thoroughly.
- Divide breadcrumb mixture into x 2 equal portions and place each portion of the breadcrumb mixture into 2 large plastic Ziploc sealable storage bags
- Crack 2 large eggs into a glass dish; add a dash of hot sauce, and beat the eggs lightly.
- Place 2 oven-safe bakers racks into 2 large baking sheets and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dip the cauliflower into egg mixture and place in the Ziploc bag in batches, shake the Ziploc bag vigorously to coat with breadcrumb mixture, place breaded cauliflower on the bakers rack that you have placed on a clean baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheets into a preheated 400-degree oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lightly brush the breaded cauliflower with melted unsalted butter
- Bake another 10-15 minutes till cauliflower is golden brown.
- Serve the Cajun Cauliflower bites with a favored dipping sauce or Ranch dressing.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.