This Cajun Beef & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers is pure Cajun-inspired goodness; deliciousness. The green bell peppers are stuffed with organic quinoa, lean ground beef, quality ground pork sausage, celery, onions, diced red bell peppers, minced garlic, herbs and Cajun seasonings topped with a Cajun seasoned red sauce.
I love a good ole fashioned recipe for stuffed bell peppers, however, as you know I love my Cajun flavors and look forward to transforming recipes into dream Cajun inspired recipes. I had a good time today revamping our family Stuffed Pepper recipe we have passed down and used for years.
What did I do?
- The first thing I did was, I decided to ditch the white rice we have always used; and opted for white organic cooked quinoa.
- I decided to brown the meats in a metal skillet first; instead of cooking them and the other ingredients inside of my stuffed peppers, as my mom and grandmother have always done.
- The original diced veggies I normally use were tossed to the wind and celery, bell pepper, onions, and minced garlic were added as a salute to the Cajun Holy Trinity.
- All the spices were changed to Cajun themed spices.
Below you will find my simple to follow the recipe; to make your own super delicious Cajun-inspired meal of Cajun Beef & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. For best taste results, it is recommended you use fresh organic, local grown, green bell peppers, organic canned tomatoes, and organic quinoa.
Cajun Beef & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup of white organic quinoa, cooked per package
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/2 of a pound quality ground pork sausage
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/4 of a cup diced red bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 of a teaspoon dried thyme
- a dash of cayenne, optional
- a light splash of Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1- 14 -ounce can of organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of organic tomato paste
- a splash of quality white table wine
- 4 large green bell peppers top removed, peppers seeded, reserve the tops
- 4 slices deli white cheddar cheese or cheese of choice, optional
Red sauce for Cajun peppers
- 1-28-ounce can of crushed organic tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- a dash of cayenne or red pepper flakes, optional
- a pinch of sugar, optional
- a splash of quality white table wine
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground peppers to taste
How to make CAJUN BEEF & QUINOA STUFFED PEPPERS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the white organic quinoa per package instructions – reserve
- Meanwhile, in a preheated large, deep metal skillet on medium heat, add lean ground beef, quality pork sausage, diced celery, 1 medium diced onion, diced red bell peppers, and minced garlic, Cajun seasoning, dried thyme, a dash of cayenne-optional, a light splash of Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to own taste. Cook till the meat it is completely cooked through.
- Once completely cooked through remove from heat and drain meat mixture in a colander till excess oils have completely drained off.
- Place the meat mixture back in large, deep metal skillet on low heat, add the can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cooked white organic quinoa and a splash of white wine. Combine ingredients and cook for about 4-5 minutes on low heat.
- Wash green bell peppers, remove tops (reserve for use), remove seeds and any leftover white in green bell peppers.
- In a medium saucepan on medium- low heat; combine organic crushed tomatoes, thyme, Cajun seasoning, oregano, a dash of cayenne or red pepper flakes, a pinch of sugar, a splash of white wine, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper to own taste. Cook about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Spoon meat and quinoa mixture evenly into each green bell pepper, place into an oven-safe baking dish, add red sauce to oven-safe baking dish and place in preheated 350-degree oven for about 20 minutes uncovered, once 20 minutes have passed add 1 slice of white cheddar cheese to each Cajun stuffed pepper, place tops on each green peppers, continue cooking another 10-12 minutes uncovered to melt cheese and cook the tops, or till your pepper has reached the degree of doneness you prefer.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving with your favorite side dishes.
Disclaimer: While a recipe is not written in stone, it is recommended you stick to the original recipe as closely as your diet allows; as changes made on your own to my recipes may result in changing the integrity of the flavor of the cooked menu item.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015-2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.