This perfect Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce & Sweet Sausage has layers upon layers of delicious flavor. A thick rich, sauce that’s perfect for penne, rigatoni, or mostaccioli pasta. Made with quality Italian Sweet Sausage, onions, bell pepper, carrots, celery, minced garlic, red Italian wine, organic fire roasted tomatoes, organic crushed tomatoes, fresh herbs such as Italian flat leaf parsley, fresh basil, oregano, rosemary, and seasoned with a dash of ground cayenne, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
I have to share with you that I am F.I.C.K.L.E. about Italian pasta sauce and Italian food. That’s right, I was spoiled by my Italian grandparents and relatives.I want Italian food one way, the 100% perfect way. You guessed it, I’m one of the few people who won’t frequent any chain Italian restaurant or eat the markets jar sauce. If you ask me to do so, my answer will swiftly be “That’s not real Italian food!”
Let’s just say, this Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce & Sweet sausage is so darn good when I make it my friends and family always ask that I share the sauce with them or send over a container for them to toss in the freezer for their next pasta night.
I have noticed that many mom’s and wives love Italian food, however, generally they will reach for a jar of pasta sauce or dine out at that “Italian-themed chain restaurant” which is totally fine if you enjoy it, by all means, mama go and enjoy your dinner.
Do you want to know the 2 main reasons why many mom’s and wives don’t make their own Homemade Italian pasta sauce these days; and are reaching for the jarred sauces more often than ever?
- No one ever showed or shared with them how easy and fast making a healthy, delicious authentic American Italian pasta sauce was.
- Time is not of an essence with children, a husband, chores, soccer practice, dance class, and work schedules.
Now, mom’s and wives, I am not judging you, ooh no, I completely understand your pain!
I am going to share my no-fail, simple to make Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce and Sweet Sausage recipe with you so that you can enjoy a healthy, Italian, crowd-pleasing sauce anytime you feel like having it.
Believe it or not, all Italian sauces don’t have to cook or simmer all day; you can make this sauce in about an hour. Cut the chopping and dicing time in half for this Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce by pulling out that food processor and letting it do the work for you in no time flat. Don’t forget to double the recipe batch and place family portions in a freezer safe container and wa-la you have a simple dinner plan for a busy night…You are welcome!
Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce & Sweet Sausage
- 1 tablespoon of authentic olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of quality mild or sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1/2 of a cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 of a cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 of a cup finely diced celery
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup of red Italian table wine
- 3-15-ounce cans of organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1-28-ounce can of organic crushed tomatoes
- 1-6-ounce can of organic tomato paste
- 1/4 of a cup chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons of dry
- 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dry
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- a dash of ground cayenne pepper or a few red pepper flakes
- kosher salt to own taste
- fresh ground pepper to own taste
- Grated Romano cheese to serve
Directions for sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon of authentic olive oil in an 8-quart pot over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, carefully prick a few holes in each sausage link before placing in preheated 8-quart pot with olive oil. Brown all sides of the mild Italian sausage.
- Once all sides of the mild Italian sausage have been browned; about 10-12 minutes, add 1 medium diced onion, 1/2 of a cup of diced bell pepper, 1/2 of a cup of finely diced carrots, 1/2 of a cup of finely diced celery, and 4 cloves of minced garlic. Saute veggies in with mild sausage for about 5 minutes or till veggies are soft.
- Reduce heat to low; add 1/2 of a cup of red Italian wine (I prefer a sweet red table wine) Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 3-15-ounce cans of organic fire roasted diced tomatoes to the sausage and veggies; let cook for about 10 minutes on low heat. Remove the mild Italian sausage links from pan, place on a clean, dry cutting area to completely cool; about 5 minutes or so. Once the mild Italian sausage has cooled, slice the sausage.
- Add sliced mild Italian sausage, 1-28-ounce can of organic crushed tomatoes to the 8-quart pot. Stir well. Add 1 6-ounce can of organic tomato paste, stirring thoroughly to combine with other ingredients.
- Add 1/4 of a cup of chopped fresh parsley, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil, 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano, 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh Rosemary, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (as well as minced garlic above) 1 teaspoon of sugar, a dash of cayenne pepper or a few pepper flakes, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to own taste.
- Cook on very low heat stirring frequently for about 45 minutes, careful not to scorch sauce.
- Best if served over chunky style pasta with Romano cheese.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.