Perfect Chunky Pasta Sauce with Mild Sausage has layers upon layers of delicious flavor. A thick, rich sauce that’s perfect for Penne, Rigatoni, or Mostaccioli pasta. Made with quality Italian Mild Sausage, onions, peppers, zucchini, minced garlic, organic tomatoes, and fresh herbs.
I have to share with you that I am slightly picky about Italian-American pasta sauces and traditional Italian food. I was spoiled by my Italian born grandparents and American-Italian relatives. I want my food one way, the right direction. You guessed it; I’m one of the few people who won’t frequent any chain Italian restaurant or eat the markets jar sauce intentionally.
I grew up in the United States, which means we tend to make our version of Italian food here, it seems. The sauces and pasta dishes that my grandmother and her family ate as a child are rarely made here in the states, due to the quality of the ingredients being slightly different. Before we get started, this recipe is an Italian-American recipe, not a recipe you would most likely eat in Italy. It’s more of what you would eat if living in an Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn.
I have noticed that many moms and wives love Italian food; however, generally, they will reach for a jar of pasta sauce or dine out at that “Italian-themed chain restaurant,” which is fine if you enjoy it, by all means, mama go and enjoy your dinner.
Do you want to know the two main reasons many mom’s and wives don’t make their own Homemade Italian pasta sauce these days?
- No one has ever shown or shared with them how easy and fast making a healthy, delicious authentic American Italian pasta sauce was.
- There are too many recipes stating they are “Authentic” or “Traditional” Italian recipes when they are not even close.
- Time is not of the essence with children, a husband, chores, soccer practice, dance class, and work schedules.
Now, mom’s and wives, I am not judging you, ooh; no, I completely understand your pain.
I am going to share my simple to make Chunky American-Italian Pasta Sauce and mild Sausage recipe with you so that you can enjoy a hearty, Italian, crowd-pleasing sauce anytime you feel like having it.
Believe it or not, not all Italian sauces have to cook or simmer all day; you can make this sauce in about an hour. Cut the chopping and dicing time in half for this Chunky Pasta Sauce by pulling out that food processor and letting it do the work for you in no time flat. Don’t forget to double the recipe batch and place family portions in a freezer-safe container and wa-la you have a simple dinner plan for a busy night.
Ingredients needed for Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce and Sweet Sausage
- Three tablespoons of authentic olive oil
- One and 1/2 pounds of quality mild Italian sausage links
- One medium onion diced
- Five cloves of fresh garlic minced
- 1/3 of a cup diced green peppers
- 1/2 of a cup finely diced Zucchini
- 2-15-ounce cans of organic tomatoes, drained
- 1-28-ounce can of organic crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 of a cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- a few red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt to own taste
- Six fresh basil leaves torn
- Grated quality Romano cheese to serve, optional
Chunky Pasta Sauce with Mild Sausage
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Mild Italian sausage browned lightly
- 1 medium Yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves Fresh garlic minced
- 1/3 cup Green bell peppers finely diced
- 30 ounces Organic diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces Organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Organic tomato paste optional
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- kosher salt To own taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 6 Fresh basil leaves torn
- Romano cheese grated
- Heat 2 or more tablespoons of authentic olive oil in an 8-quart pot over medium heat. Carefully prick a few holes in each sausage link before placing in preheated 8-quart pot with olive oil. Brown all sides of the mild Italian sausage.
- Once all sides of the mild Italian sausage have been browned; about 8 minutes, add the remainder of the olive oil, 1 medium diced onion, 1/3 of a cup of diced peppers, 1/2 of a cup of diced zucchini, and 5 cloves of minced garlic. Saute veggies in with mild sausage for about 3-4 minutes or until the veggies are softened slightly.
- Add the organic diced tomatoes to the sausage and veggies; let cook for about 10 minutes on low heat. Remove the mild Italian sausage links from pan, place on a clean, dry cutting area to completely cool; about 5 minutes or so.
- Once the mild Italian sausage has cooled, slice the sausage. Add sliced mild Italian sausage, 1-28-ounce can of organic crushed tomatoes to the 8-quart pot. Stir well.
- Add a few pepper flakes and kosher salt. Cook on very low heat stirring frequently for about 35 minutes, careful not to scorch sauce.
- Next, add 1/4 of a cup of chopped fresh parsley and fresh basil at the end. Cook on low for about 8-10 minutes
- It is very important when making the sauce that you use quality organic tomatoes. Look for tomatoes that the first ingredient is tomatoes. No sugar added.
Don’t forget to use the Pin and Print Options/buttons to save for later!