Perfect Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce & Sweet sausage has layers upon layers of delicious flavor. A thick rich, sauce that’s perfect for penne, rigatoni, or mostaccioli pasta. Made with quality Italian Sweet Sausage, onions, peppers, zucchini, minced garlic, red Italian wine, organic fire roasted tomatoes, organic crushed tomatoes, fresh herbs such as, Italian flat leaf parsley, fresh basil, oregano, rosemary, and seasoned with a dash of ground cayenne, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
I have to share with you that I am F.I.C.K.L.E. about American-Italian pasta sauces and Italian food. That’s right, I was spoiled by my Italian grandparents and American-Italian relatives. I want my food one way, the 100% perfect way. You guessed it, I’m one of the few people who won’t frequent any chain Italian restaurant or eat the markets jar sauce intentionally.
Let’s just say, this Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce & Sweet sausage is so darn good, when I make it my friends and family always ask that I share the sauce with them or send over a container for them to toss in the freezer for their next pasta night.
I have noticed that many mom’s and wives love Italian food, however, generally they will reach for a jar of pasta sauce or dine out at that “Italian-themed chain restaurant” which is totally fine if you enjoy it, by all means, mama go and enjoy your dinner.
Do you want to know the 2 main reasons many mom’s and wives don’t make their own Homemade Italian pasta sauce these days; and are reaching for the jarred sauces more often than ever?
- No one ever showed or shared with them how easy and fast making a healthy, delicious authentic American Italian pasta sauce was.
- Time is not of an essence with children, a husband, chores, soccer practice, dance class, and work schedules.
Now, mom’s and wives, I am not judging you, ooh no, I completely understand your pain.
I am going to share my no-fail, simple to make Chunky American-Italian Pasta Sauce and Sweet Sausage recipe with you so that you can enjoy a healthy, Italian, crowd-pleasing sauce anytime you feel like having it.
Believe it or not, all Italian sauces have to cook or simmer all day; you can make this sauce in about an hour. Cut the chopping and dicing time in half for this Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce by pulling out that food processor and letting it do the work for you in no time flat. Don’t forget to double the recipe batch and place family portions in a freezer safe container and wa-la you have a simple dinner plan for a busy night…You are welcome!
Ingredients needed for Chunky Italian Pasta Sauce and Sweet Sausage
- 3-4 tablespoons of authentic olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of quality mild or sweet Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/3 of a cup diced peppers
- 1/2 of a cup finely diced Zucchini
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup of red Italian table wine, optional
- 2-15-ounce cans of organic tomatoes, drained
- 1-28-ounce can of organic crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red tables wine, optional
- 1/4 of a cup chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons of dry
- 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dry
- a dash of ground cayenne pepper or a few red pepper flakes
- kosher salt to own taste
- fresh ground pepper to own taste
- Grated quality Romano cheese to serve
- 4 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 1/2 pounds quality mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/3 cup green bell peppers diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 30 ounces organic diced tomatoes
- 28 ounces organic crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato paste optional
- 1/2 cup quality red table wine optional
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil torn
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 dash red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper optional
- kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- Romano cheese grated
Heat 2 or more tablespoons of authentic olive oil in an 8-quart pot over medium heat.
Meanwhile, carefully prick a few holes in each sausage link before placing in preheated 8-quart pot with olive oil. Brown all sides of the mild Italian sausage.
Once all sides of the mild Italian sausage have been browned; about 10-12 minutes, add the remainder of the olive oil, 1 medium diced onion, 1/3 of a cup of diced peppers, 1/2 of a cup of diced zucchini, and 5 cloves of minced garlic. Saute veggies in with mild sausage for about 3-5 minutes or until the veggies are softened slightly.
Add the cans of organic diced tomatoes to the sausage and veggies; let cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
Reduce heat to low; add 1/2 of a cup of red Italian wine (I prefer a mild red table wine) Cook for 2-3 minutes. This is an optional step. Remember if you use wine use one that you enjoy drinking.
Remove the mild Italian sausage links from pan, place on a clean, dry cutting area to completely cool; about 5 minutes or so. Once the mild Italian sausage has cooled, slice the sausage.
Add sliced mild Italian sausage, 1-28-ounce can of organic crushed tomatoes to the 8-quart pot. Stir well.
Add 1/4 of a cup of chopped fresh parsley, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil, 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano, 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh Rosemary, a dash of cayenne pepper or a few pepper flakes, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper to own taste.
Cook on very low heat stirring frequently for about 45 minutes, careful not to scorch sauce.
- It is very important when making the sauce that you use quality organic tomatoes. Look for tomatoes that the first ingredient is tomatoes. No sugar added.
- The table wine may be omitted if desired.