This recipe for Cajun Meatloaf; isn’t mom’s plain old meatloaf folks, this meatloaf is pure Cajun Mom’s comfort food kicked up several notches with Cajun Seasoning, cayenne pepper, Crystal hot sauce, a Holy Cajun Trinity, finely chopped carrots all mixed in with lean ground beef and quality ground pork, glazed to perfection with spicy ketchup then baked in a 350 degree oven till perfectly done.
I was never a big fan of meatloaf when I was a child, too blah and boring I guess. Don’t get me wrong, people rant and rave over my mom’s meatloaf. I just like a little more spice in my food.I want flavor, I want a kick, I want perfection when it comes to my favorite comfort foods.
I think a good comfort food dinner should be inspiring, fun, and delicious all wrapped into one. So, after messing around with mom’s meatloaf and incorporating some Cajun goodness I finally achieved the meatloaf I never had as a child “Cajun Meatloaf” and man was it awesome!
Below you will find my simple to follow step by step recipe for my favorite comfort food, a Cajun Meatloaf recipe that will kick your ordinary dinners with a little Cajun inspiration and love.Serve topped with Mashed potatoes or rice, top with Cajun Gravy for a fantastic Cajun Comfort Food experience tonight.
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 of a teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 of a teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1/2 of a cup of minced celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of minced onions
- 1/4 of a cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Crystal hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 of a cup of evaporated milk
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound of quality ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Spicy ketchup to glaze Cajun Meatloaf
- 1 recipe for Cajun Gravy
Directions to make Cajun Meatloaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine Cajun seasoning, ground cumin, nutmeg, dried thyme, dried oregano, a dash of cayenne pepper, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper in a small glass bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of real unsalted butter in a cast iron skillet or metal frying pan.
- Add the minced celery, finely chopped red bell pepper, minced onions, finely chopped carrots, minced garlic, Crystal hot sauce, Worcestershire and seasoning mix from above.
- Saute the veggies about 4 minutes in the cast iron skillet.
- Stir in the evaporated milk with the veggie mixture.Continue cooking for about 1- 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the heat source and allow sautéed veggies evaporated milk to become close to room temperature.
- Once veggies have become almost room temperature, place the ground beef, pork, eggs, cooked veggies and seasoned bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Work and shape the mixture into a large loaf, place in metal baking dish.
- Glaze the top of Cajun Meatloaf with a spicy ketchup.
- Bake Cajun Meatloaf uncovered at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or till done.
- Serve topped with Cajun gravy and choice side dish.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018-2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.