This recipe for Cajun Meatloaf; isn’t mom’s plain old meatloaf folks; this meatloaf is pure Cajun Mom’s comfort food kicked up several notches with Cajun Seasoning, cayenne pepper, Crystal hot sauce, a Holy Cajun Trinity, finely chopped carrots, all mixed in with lean ground beef and quality ground pork, glazed to perfection with spicy ketchup then baked in a 350-degree oven till perfectly done.
I was never a big fan of meatloaf when I was a child; too blah and boring, I guess. Don’t get me wrong; people rant and rave over my mom’s meatloaf. I just like a little more spice in my food. I want flavor, I want a kick, I want perfection when it comes to my favorite comfort foods.
I think a good comfort food dinner should be inspiring, fun, and delicious, all wrapped into one. So, after messing around with mom’s meatloaf and incorporating some Cajun goodness, I finally achieved the meatloaf I never had as a child “Cajun Meatloaf,” and man, was it awesome!
Below you will find my simple follow step by step recipe for my favorite comfort food, a Cajun Meatloaf recipe that will kick your ordinary dinners with a little Cajun inspiration and love. Serve topped with Mashed potatoes or rice, top with Cajun Gravy for a fantastic Cajun Comfort Food experience tonight.
1 and 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun Seasoning
1/2 of a teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 of a teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
a dash of cayenne pepper
kosher salt to own taste
freshly ground black pepper to own taste
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1/2 of a cup of minced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup of minced onions
1/4 of a cup finely chopped carrots
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
2 tablespoons Crystal hot sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 of a cup of evaporated milk
1 and 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
1/2 pound of quality ground pork
2 large eggs
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Spicy ketchup to glaze Cajun Meatloaf
1 recipe for Cajun Gravy
- Cajun Meatloaf
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- kosher salt, to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to own taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup minced celery
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup minced onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Crystal hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound quality ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Spicy ketchup to glaze Cajun Meatloaf
- 1 recipe Cajun Gravy see link in blog post
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine Cajun seasoning, ground cumin, nutmeg, dried thyme, dried oregano, a dash of cayenne pepper, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper in a small glass bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of real unsalted butter in a cast iron skillet or metal frying pan.
- Add the minced celery, finely chopped red bell pepper, minced onions, finely chopped carrots, minced garlic, Crystal hot sauce, Worcestershire and seasoning mix from above.
- Saute the veggies about 4 minutes in the cast iron skillet.
- Stir in the evaporated milk with the veggie mixture.Continue cooking for about 1- 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cast iron skillet from the heat source and allow sautéed veggies evaporated milk to become close to room temperature.
- Once veggies have become almost room temperature, place the ground beef, pork, eggs, cooked veggies and seasoned bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Work and shape the mixture into a large loaf, place in metal baking dish.
- Glaze the top of Cajun Meatloaf with a spicy ketchup.
- Bake Cajun Meatloaf uncovered at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or till done.
- Serve topped with Cajun gravy and choice side dish.
Save the recipe by using the Pin and Print Options!