Braised Chicken and Cremini Mushrooms in Bourbon Sauce is fabulous rustic comfort food to serve family and friends. It’s a delicious combination of decadent creamy bourbon sauce over braised chicken with cremini mushrooms that you won’t soon forget.
I have found some really great deals on leg quarters at my local market, so you know I am ecstatic to show off some of my favorite recipes, such as Braised Chicken & Cremini Mushrooms in Bourbon Sauce, that involve this relatively inexpensive cut of meat. At my wit’s end, I am paying so much money for beef and pork these days, so believe me when I tell you I am taking full advantage of the market’s sales items.
That’s the thing I adore about most comfort foods; they’re so damn delicious, and you can usually afford to whip up a fabulous meal without breaking your wallet. Which means you can splurge on something else at the market. Isn’t that a win-win situation?
Ingredient needed for Braised Chicken & Cremini Mushrooms
- Four chicken thighs, skin on
- Four chicken legs, skin on
- kosher salt for seasoning chicken
- One cup all-purpose flour for dredging
- Two tablespoons of authentic olive oil
- Two tablespoons unsalted butter
- Two shallots minced
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- Sixsprigs fresh thyme, tied in a bouquet
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Two cups chicken stock
- One ounce of bourbon
- 1/2 of a cup of heavy cream
- Two pints of cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 of a cup of chopped parsley
Braised Chicken and Cremini Mushrooms in Bourbon Sauce
- 4 chicken thighs skin on
- 4 chicken legs skin on
- kosher salt for seasoning chicken
- 1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 6 sprigs thyme tied in a bouquet
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ounce bourbon
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 pints cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- Season the chicken thighs and legs well with kosher salt.
- Place the 1 cup flour in a small bowl, and quickly dredge both sides of each thigh and each leg in the all-purpose flour, shaking off excess flour. -Reserve to side.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Then add 2 tablespoons of the unsalted butter to the same Dutch oven. after the unsalted butter has completely melted place the chicken in the pan. Brown for 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the Dutch oven with metal tongs and set aside. -Reserve oils in the pan.
- Add the minced shallots, garlic, thyme bouquet, and ground black pepper, then whisk in the chicken stock, heavy cream, and bourbon and increase the heat to medium-low.
- Place the chicken in the pan, and bring the stock to a light simmer. Careful not to let it become above a light simmer due to heavy cream.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the Dutch oven with a heavy, tight-fitting lid, and lightly simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir the bottom of the Dutch oven, add 2 pints of cremini mushrooms re-cover, and simmer on low for 20 more minutes or till done
- Remove the pan from the heat and discard the herb bouquet of thyme.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter.
- Add the parsley to the sauce, stir to combine, and then spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve with wild rice blend or steamed white rice.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2021 – 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with proper and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.