Cajun Crab Spread combines decadent crab meat, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Colby-Jack cheese, celery, red bell peppers, spring onions, Crystal hot sauce, Slap Ya Mama Cajun spices, and a pinch of thyme together for that perfect Cajun-inspired appetizer to serve at your next Tailgate party or get-together .
To always have an awesome Cajun or Cajun-inspired experience, you first must understand the importance of using the proper spices. Let’s talk a bit about Cajun spices used in Les Cadiens or les Acadiens Cuisine; cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, black and white pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, ground cloves, dried basil and thyme are commonly used in Cajun recipes.
Often, a common misconception by folks not familiar with Cajun or Creole cooking; is substituting Old Bay seasoning for a Cajun Spice blend. They are apples and oranges, Old Bay seasoning has a blend; mustard, paprika, celery salt, bay leaf, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, mace, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, and ginger. While Old Bay is a fantastic spice blend for a New England Clam Bake, the end results will not be the same for a Cajun recipe.
You can easily round-up a few worthwhile Cajun spice blends in your local grocery store or online that contain these most of the ingredient listed; such as Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning or even Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning as a substitute to cut the cost of the spices if you do not cook Cajun Cuisine on a regular basis.
Cajun Crab Spread
- 12-ounces of cream cheese softened
- 4-ounces of Colby-Jack cheese shredded
- 12-ounces of crab meat or imitation crab meat
- 1/3 of a cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of Crystal hot sauce or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning or to taste
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 of a cup of minced celery
- 1/4 of a cup of minced red bell peppers
- 3 spring onions chopped.
- Dice 12-ounces of cream cheese, place in food processor and allow to soften for about 15 minutes before adding other ingredients.
- Place 4-ounces of Colby-Jack cheese, 12-ounces of crab meat or imitation crab meat in a food processor, 1/3 of a cup of mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of Crystal hot sauce, 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning, and 1/2 of a teaspoon of dried thyme. Run food processor on low till all mentioned ingredients are joined.
- Using a plastic spatula scrape mixture from food processor into a large glass dish, add 1/2 of a cup of minced celery, 1/4 of a cup of minced red bell peppers, and 3 chopped spring onions. Fold all ingredients in till evenly combined.
- Refrigerate till ready to serve, best if refrigerated at least 1 hour.
- Serve with various crackers.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2012-15. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.