Apple Bourbon Spice Mini Trifles with Caramel is the perfect upcoming Fall dessert combining Red Delicious apples, Makers Mark Bourbon, a simple box cake mix, orange zest, and sinfully delicious caramel sauce.
Believe it or not this dessert happened by accident, yep I have a little cake monster running amuck in my home, who decided to help themselves to a healthy sized slice of my bundt cake. You can’t very well show off a slightly demolished bundt cake to anyone and not feel a slight ping of embarrassment.
Well, after my annoyance died down, we decided to move forward with the idea of mini trifles for this recipe and believe it, or not it worked out well I think. The outcome was a cute little personal dessert all ready to be served.
You can’t go wrong with this recipe, the ingredients are simple to find, using a trusted cake mix by Duncan Hines made it more time efficient, the Bourbon and apples add a fantastic fall flavor and Caramel? Need I even say more?
Apple Bourbon Spice Mini Trifles with Caramel
- 1 Box of White Classic Duncan Hines Spice Cake
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup of Markers Mark Bourbon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup of oil
- cooking spray
- all-purpose flour for dusting pan
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 5 Red Delicious Apples diced
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- dash of salt
- caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine 1 box of Classic Duncan Hines Spice Cake with 1 cup of Markers Mark Bourbon, the zest of 1 orange, 2 large eggs room temperature, and 1/4 of a cup of oil in a large mixing bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Coat baking dish of choice with cooking spray and dust lightly with all-purpose flour. Shake excess all-purpose flour off the baking dish.
- Pour batter in prepared baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees; 13″ x 9″: 23-28 minutes Bundt: 33-36 minutes
- Meanwhile, peel, core and dice 5 red delicious apples, place in a large glass dish, add zest and juice of 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, a dash of salt, and gently toss till the apples are evenly coated with ingredients.
- Place 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in metal skillet on medium heat, melt butter completely before adding apple mixture and sautéing for 4-5 minutes to soften apples.
- Remove from heat and reserve till ready.
- Once cake has completed it cooking process and a toothpick has been inserted to make sure doneness let completely cool before even attempting to remove from baking pan.
- Once the spice cake has completely cooled remove and place on a large cutting board, dice cake into bite sized pieces.
- To assemble: Add a layer of caramel to the bottom of dessert glass, a layer of apples, a layer of cake, repeat and top with a bit more caramel.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2012-15. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.