Horseradish Smashers are the mashed potatoes you have been dreaming about all these years. Mashed Potatoes delicately kissed with a hint of Horseradish flavor, half-and-half cream, and real butter to take your taste buds over the edge at dinner.
One of my favorite casual places to eat in Palm Beach County is C.R.Chicks which opened their 1st store in Palm Beach Gardens 20+ year ago, on November 4, 1992; I became one of their loyal customers in 1999 upon moving to Palm Beach County, Florida.
One of the many things I fell in love with on their menu was their delicious Horseradish Smashers, made with Redskin potatoes, real cream, unsalted butter and a light essence of horseradish to kick up the flavor level to phenomenal.
For years, I have worked on these delicious Horseradish Smashers to get them similar to theirs. After making them again the other day, I decided they were close enough and decided to share them with you today.
Horseradish Smashers – Mashed Potatoes
- 4 pounds of Redskin potatoes, scrubbed, skins on, quartered,
- 1 and 1/3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons of prepared quality horseradish
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place redskin potatoes in a large pot, add cold water to cover the redskin potatoes by about 1-inch. Add a small amount of kosher salt to the water; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover with lid slightly ajar, gently simmer until redskin potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the half-and-half, horseradish, and minced garlic until small bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
- Drain potatoes; return to same pot. Shake and stir with a wooden spoon over very low heat until dry. Then, using a potato masher, mash the potatoes coarsely.
- Add the unsalted butter and gradually add the half-and-half cream mixture, and fresh chopped parsley, mix the potatoes constantly with a large wooden spoon until the potatoes are creamy.
- Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, optional
- Transfer the Horseradish Smashers to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.