Simple Italian Meatballs and Red Sauce has never been so easy and delicious, it will make you want to throw those frozen meatballs and that jarred sauce in the garbage bin. Combining these easy ingredients of quality San Marzano crushed tomatoes, quality diced tomatoes, Spanish onion, fresh minced garlic, grated carrot, fresh basil, oregano, and thyme for the perfect Simple red sauce with delicious homemade meatballs every time.
So many families these days rely on jarred sauce and frozen meatballs for one reason, they think it takes a day to make the sauce, really that’s a myth that all Italian people simmer sauce on a stove for hours on end to make the perfect sauce. You can if you want, however, it’s not really doing much except beating a dead horse.
I love this version of our family sauce and homemade meatballs, the reason being is there is no unnecessary step of frying or baking the meatballs before placing them in the red sauce. Once your Red Sauce has simmered for about 15 minutes you can toss the meatballs in and cook on very low heat for about 35-45 minutes and have the most flavorful, tender, delicious meatballs you’ll ever eat.
Below you’ll find my families recipe and shortcuts used to make the most simple and delicious Italian Meatballs and Red Sauce you have tried in years. The ingredients are fairly simple to find in your local market or Italian Speciality stores located near you.
Italian Red Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of authentic olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion diced
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2- 28-ounce cans of quality San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- 1- 14-ounce can of quality diced tomatoes
- 8 fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
- dash of pepper flakes
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/2 of a pound ground pork or Italian sausage
- 1/3 of a cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 of a cup of quality Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 of teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- kosher salt to own taste
- fresh ground pepper to own taste
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced Spanish onions, minced garlic, and grated carrot, cook until the onions are soft and light golden brown, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Add San Marzano crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chopped fresh basil leaves, oregano, thyme, a dash of pepper flakes, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper to your own taste.
- Lower the heat to the 3-quart sauce pan and simmer for about 15 minutes before adding the meatballs.
- In a large heavy-duty food processor place 1 large egg, ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, Romano cheese, dried basil, dried oregano, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper to own taste. Pulse food processor 3-4 times, then turn on low-speed to combine ingredients completely – (about 45 seconds)
- Form meatballs to the desired size by rolling in palms till you form a round ball (depending on your desired size of the meatball, will depend on the number of meatballs, I made about 16 when I made our meatballs today.
- Stir sauce well, place raw meatballs in simmering sauce, cook for about 30-45 minutes on low; or till desired thickness is reached and meatballs are completely cooked through. Do not stir the sauce for the first 10 minutes, reduce heat if needed, then stir very gently.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.