Cajun Cheddar and Andouille Spread is perfect for those Southern Summer get-togethers, combining spicy Andouille Sausage with mild cheddar cheese, cream cheese, Ro*tel diced tomatoes, green onions, Louisiana’s favorite hot sauce and Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning served on your favorite brand of crackers.
Every Southern home has their own favorite secret recipe they bring to a get-together, mine is my Cajun Cheddar and Andouille Spread, for years I have been asked for this recipe. I usually reply with the infamous “If I tell you, I have to kill you.” and give a good hearty laugh, however, I have decided to retire my secret recipe and share it with you all today.
I know some people find it annoying when I don’t want to share my secret recipes with them, however, a Southern Girl has secrets she likes to hang on to till she’s moved on to a new secret weapon. Besides if we gave out all my secret recipes what would I impress my friends and guests with?
This recipe is super simple to whip up for any gathering this summer, the ingredients are usually super easy to find in your local Southern markets, if you are up North or in the mid-west if you can not find Andouille Sausage and do not want to order it online, you can substitute any spicy smoked sausage that your market carries, it may not taste 100% the same but will still be a really yummy substitute in a pinch.
Cajun Cheddar and Andouille Spread
- 12 ounces of Andouille Sausage browned
- 1 can of Ro*tel diced tomatoes drained
- 1-8-ounce package of cream cheese
- 8 ounces of mild cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1/4 of a cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of Crystal Hot Sauce
- 1/2 of tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
- 2 green onions sliced, 1 tablespoon reserved of tops
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place a metal skillet on medium heat, add Andouille Sauce links to skillet, cook about 8 minutes or till cooked through, do not over brown. Remove from metal skillet once done and place on cutting a board to be diced once cool to the touch. Once cool dice the Andouille Sausage and reserve till needed.
- Drain 1 can of Ro*tel diced tomatoes while Andouille Sausage is cooking.
- Place 8 ounces of cream cheese in a food processor along with drained diced tomatoes, 8 ounces of freshly shredded mild cheddar cheese, 1/4 of a cup of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of Crystal Hot sauce, 1/2 tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, pulse till all ingredients are combined.
- Place in a glass dish and add diced Andouille Sausage and all but 1 tablespoon of green onion, stir to combine.
- Add freshly ground black pepper to the top of spread along with 1 tablespoon of green onion tops as a garnish.
- Serve with your favorite brand of crackers.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.