Cajun Style Potato Salad combines red-skin potatoes boiled in Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, celery, red onions, okra, sliced green onions, Cajun Style mustard, real mayonnaise, with Cajun spices and green onions for a new level of Cajun kick to your average Southern Potato salad you’ll enjoy at your family BBQ this summer.
If you happen to eat potato salad anywhere in the state of Louisiana chances are you may find that there’s nothing remarkably different with Cajun or Creole Potato salad, generally it’s simply a Southern base Potato salad with a spicy hot mustard or a bit of Cajun or Creole orientated spices to ham up that salad a bit, realistically though everywhere I have eaten in Louisiana it’s pretty much the same as if my grandmother made it in Tennessee and added a bit of Cajun style mustard and Cajun seasoning to jazz it up.
I decided I wanted a bit more of a Cajun theme to my Cajun Style Potato Salad and, of course, decided to boil my potatoes in Cajun seasoning,add celery, onions, and some blanched okra along with the Cajun mustard and Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice blend.
Now, let’s talk about okra, do you know what the number one issue with most people is when eating Okra? It’s usually the fact of it being slimy and oozy looking to most folks. When fully cooked okra lets off a bit of a slim which works wonderfully in thickening Gumbo or Okra Stew, however, can be insulting to some taste buds. However, if blanched slightly it remains firm and has no slimy texture involved and the taste is truly wonderful.
Cajun Style Potato Salad
- 3 pounds of red skin potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt for water
- 2 tablespoons of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning +extra
- 1/4 of a cup diced red onion
- 1/2 of a cup chopped celery
- 1 cup of sliced okra blanched
- 1 cup of real mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Cajun mustard or spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- a pinch of sugar
- kosher salt, to own taste
- fresh ground pepper to own taste
- 2 tablespoon of thinly sliced green onions, garnish
- Fill a large pot with cold tap water, 1/4 of a teaspoon of kosher salt, 2 tablespoons of Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning, and 3 pounds of red-skin potatoes that have been washed, and peeled. Cook till potatoes are tender yet firm. Drain all water off and cool potatoes.
- In a large glass bowl add diced red onion, chopped celery, and 1 cup of blanched okra, and cooled potatoes reserve till ready.
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup of real mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of Cajun mustard or spicy mustard, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of sugar with a small whisk.
- Add dressing to the bowl with potatoes, gently combine all ingredients careful not to break down the potatoes.
- Add a bit of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and Cajun seasoning to the top of the salad, along with thinly sliced green onions as a garnish.
- Serve warm or place in refrigerator to cool to the desired temperature.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.