Creamy Cheddar and Spinach Rice is delicious and so simple to make you can have it completely done in about 35 minutes from start to finish. You are combining organic white long-grain rice, chicken stock, shallots, garlic, aged white cheddar cheese, fresh organic chopped spinach, and Italian herbs into a creamy side dish you won’t soon forget.
Coming from an Italian heritage, I love Risotto. However, I have also found I love a bit of a change every blue moon and does my family. Often as wives, we forget that there are so many beautiful adaptions that we can make to our traditional family recipes that will change them into a brand spanking new family favorite.
One of the recipes I adapted from is my Creamy Garlic Spinach Risotto that was passed down to me by my family; the funny thing is it all started with not having ingredients on hand for that recipe, yet having other components that if used correctly we could be enjoying an adaptation with a whole new flavor and texture.
So our journey began that day down a road of long grain rice versus my standard short grain. Aged white cheddar versus my beloved aged Romano and Asiago cheese I would typically use. Of course, there also was not one drop of white wine in our home that day, so that would be omitted from the equation as well. Did I also mention we did not have any heavy cream on hand? I must have skipped out on shopping that week or something. Talk about cooking with limited ingredients supply that night.
Below you will find my recipe for Creamy Cheddar & Spinach Rice with easy to find ingredients and simple to follow instructions to make a wonderfully cheesy side dish for your next meal. It pairs perfectly with both poultry of fish.
Creamy Cheddar and Spinach Rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter + 2
- 2 small shallots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4½ cups chicken stock
- 2 cups organic white long-grain rice
- ½ tablespoon dried Italian herb blend
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1½ aged white cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 2 cups fresh organic spinach chopped
- ¼ cup fresh organic chopped parsley
- Kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup warm heavy cream
- Heat a large metal saucepan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of real unsalted butter, add the 2 small diced shallots and 3 minced cloves of garlic to pan, cook until softened and almost translucent; about 3 minutes.
- Add 4 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock to the metal saucepan that you have cooked the shallots in, turn heat to high till stock starts to boil, once boiling add 2 cups uncooked white organic rice and stir.
- Add 1/2 of a tablespoon of dried Italian herb blend to rice and water, and a pinch of hot pepper flakes; stir, cook 3 minutes on high heat.
- After 3 minutes reduce heat to lowest heat setting. and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook on lowest heat setting about 13-16 minutes, or till almost all water has been absorbed, stir at this time to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of real unsalted butter, 1 and 1/2 cups of freshly grated white cheddar cheese, 2 cups of fresh organic chopped spinach, 1/4 of a cup fresh organic parsley that has been chopped, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, and warm heavy cream; stir till all ingredients are incorporated and you have a creamy texture. If desired you may add a bit more unsalted butter if the texture is not creamy enough for your tastes. Stir gently until spinach wilts and cheese melts.
- Remove from heat immediately.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2020-2013 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with proper and specific direction to the original content.