Chicken and Refried Bean Burritos made with a delicious homemade Refried Beans mixture, juicy seasoned white tender chicken breast meat, long grain white rice, Colby Jack cheese, Hass avocados, fresh Homemade Salsa with Poblano Chilies and chopped fresh cilantro.
If you aren’t careful you can seriously become addicted to these wonderful homemade Chicken and Refried Bean Burritos pretty quickly. I love all the fresh ingredients joined in one tortilla wrap, and man is it ever filling. I normally have one burrito and I am stuffed to the gills.
Mexican food at home doesn’t have to boring and bland looking, fresh ingredients and ripe produce add beautiful color and tremendous flavor. So ladies, If you have a fresh produce market or vegetable stand that supplies local vegetables run immediately, do not walk and get your fresh produce on
You can feel free to throw those jars of canned salsa right in the trash because I have included a favorite salsa recipe you’re going to fall in love with from the get-go. That’s right, be ready to kick the store salsa to the curb and never look back.
Most of all enjoy this simple, easy, Homemade Chicken and Refried Bean recipe that will have you loving the idea of Mexican at home from here on out. The happy full faces at the dinner table are just a going to be a bonus.
Homemade Refried Beans
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1/4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of bacon grease or butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper diced
- Rinse the beans thoroughly, then place them in a large pot. Pour water over the top. Use enough water to cover the beans by about 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
- Add the chili powder, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Heat the bacon grease in a large skillet, add onions and diced jalapeño peppers and cook until softened.
- Add the pinto beans to the skillet, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Place ingredients in a food processor and pulse till they are they’re the consistency you want.
Chicken and Refried Bean Burrito
- 3 – 6-ounce pieces of seasoned and cooked chicken breasts chopped
- 1 recipe for refried beans, above
- 1 cup of cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup of freshly shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 2 Hass avocados diced
- 1 recipe for Homemade Salsa with roasted poblano chile
- 1/2 of a cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes sliced
- Large tortillas
- Heat tortillas slightly before using them following the package directions.
- Place burrito wrap on flat surface, spoon a small amount of chicken onto the wrap, spoon refried beans on the burrito wrap, add a bit of white rice, add some freshly shredded Colby Jack Cheese to layers.
- Fold the sides of burrito in so it nearly touches in the middle.
- With the sides folded in, use your thumbs to bring up the bottom of the tortilla.
- Bring up the bottom of the tortilla and pull it tightly.
- Roll the bottom of the tortilla tightly.
- Press and crease the end of the tortilla as you finish rolling it up.
- Cut the burrito in half, place on the plate and garnish with the Homemade Salsa with roasted poblano chile, diced avocados, chopped cilantro, and sliced lime.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2018-2015 unauthorized use and/or duplication of content/ material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.