Tuna and Macaroni Salad is a simple, fresh tasting and a budget friendly recipe we have made over the years in my household. Solid white albacore tuna, al dente macaroni, hard boiled egg whites, diced red onions, fresh parsley, sliced dill gherkins pickles, mayonnaise and a hint of freshly squeezed lemon juice make this Summer salad a winning combination for your next cookout.
As a small child, I loved my mom’s Southern-Style Tuna and Macaroni Salad to a point of no return and then back again. Yes, that’s a lot of loving isn’t it? Over the years, I have changed her recipe slightly and it has become more delicious than ever to me.
Now, what did I change from Mom’s recipe? Not a lot, however, Mom uses freshly canned sweet pickle relish, Miracle Whip, yellow onions, and eggs or lemon juice is not added to her recipe. Over the years as my taste buds evolved, I guess some changes came about to her salad.
I also love that this recipe is so budget friendly and seems to hit it off well with our BBQ’s in the Summer with family and friends. The recipe has the most simple ingredients you can find at any local market you and your family shop at with ease. You can feel at ease when shopping for this recipe you won’t be going for broke. As a matter of fact, I bet if you take a peek, you have 98% of them now.
Tuna and Macaroni Salad
- 12 ounces of dry macaroni pasta cooked al dente
- 2 hard-boiled eggs whites only diced
- 3 cans of solid white albacore tuna drained
- 1 small red onion diced
- 8 dill gherkins pickle sliced
- 1/4 of a cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 and 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- Kosher salt to own taste
- freshly ground black pepper to own taste
- Cook 12 ounces of dry macaroni noodles according to package directions for al dente method.Meanwhile, in a small saucepan filled with water, cook 2 eggs till hard boiled. Remove the eggs from the pan, let cool. Once the eggs are done cooling, peel the eggs and dice.
- Drain 3 cans of solid white albacore tuna.
- Dice 1 small red onion.
- Slice 8 dill gherkins pickles.
- Place diced hardboiled eggs, 3 cans of solid white albacore tuna, diced red onion and dill gherkins pickles in a large glass bowl or a deep serving dish.
- Drain macaroni and rinse lightly in cold water.
- Add macaroni to the rest of the ingredients from above, mayonnaise, whole grain mustard, freshly squeezed lemon juice, kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper to own taste.
- Combine all ingredients and refrigerate till ready to serve.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2014-15. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.