Caribbean Shrimp Tacos are the rage with me now, anything that combines succulent shrimp seasoned in Jamaican jerk spice, creamy Hass avocados, mangos, pineapple, black beans, jalapeño peppers, sweet red peppers, red onions, cilantro, and lime all resting on a freshly grilled corn tortilla has my immediate attention.
Anyone who knows me will vouch, I love all these great ingredients, don’t you? Life is too short for bland and boring. I mean winter is over let’s show our late spring /summer sides. Turn up the Reggae music, have a bit of Jamaican Rum, kick off those flip-flops, and feel the Caribbean vibe wash over you.
Some of you are going, “What is this girl smoking? It’s 59 Degrees here in Colorado cupcake!”
Now, a few of you are getting to see a little of my fusion cooking for the first time, don’t worry, you’re going to have a summer full of surprises this year. Today, I have chosen to combine a bit of Mexican and Jamaican ingredients for this divine recipe of Caribbean Shrimp Tacos for you readers. Did you get out that Jamaican Rum yet? If not, what are you waiting for?
Below you will find my recipe for Caribbean Shrimp Tacos, which should help thaw your family and friends out from that winter chill and make them smile. If they aren’t smiling, just add more Jamaican Rum to their glasses.
What you will need to make Caribbean Shrimp Tacos
Two and 1/2 pounds shrimp, cleaned
One tablespoon of olive oil
One teaspoon white wine vinegar
Two teaspoons of Jamaican jerk seasoning
Two large ripe Hass avocados diced
One mango diced
1/2 of a cup of diced pineapple
1/2 cup of rinsed black beans
One jalapeño peppers, minced
1/4 cup red pepper, minced
1/4 cup red onion, minced
Three green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
Three tablespoons of chopped cilantro
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 2 limes
A dash of cumin
Fresh cracked pepper
Fresh Corn Tortillas
Three cups chopped romaine lettuce
One cup of freshly shredded cheese of your choice
Two sliced jalapeño peppers, optional topping
Grape tomatoes halved, optional topping
Sliced limes, optional garnish
Caribbean Shrimp Tacos
- 2½ pounds shrimp cleaned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 2 large Hass avocados diced
- 1 mango diced
- ½ cup pineapple diced
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 jalapeño peppers minced
- ¼ cup red pepper minced
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- 3 green onions scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- a dash of cumin
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh Corn Tortillas
- 2-3 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 2 jalapeño peppers sliced optional topping
- grape tomatoes optional topping
- sliced limes optional garnish
- Remove shells from shrimp, clean and remove the vein that runs up the back of each shrimp.
- In a large glass bowl place clean shrimp, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar, and 2 teaspoons of Jamaican jerk seasoning, lightly toss till the shrimp are evenly coated with oil and seasoning.
- Let shrimp and marinade set for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, diced avocado ( be sure to sprinkle with a bit of lime juice to keep color) dice the mango and pineapple. Place in a separate glass dish.
- Add rinsed black beans to the glass dish.
- Mice jalapeño peppers, red pepper, and red onion and add to the same glass dish as mangoes and pineapple.
- Slice 3 green onion, then chop 3 tablespoons of cilantro and add ingredients to the glass bowl.
- Zest 1 lime and then juice 2 limes. Add lime zest, as well as the juice of two limes, a dash of cumin, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to the bowl and lightly toss to join all ingredients, Reserve till later.
- Heat grill or a grill pan with lines to medium-high heat.
- Drain off excess marinade
- Carefully place the shrimp on the grill cooking for about 2 minutes on each side, or till shrimp turns white and shows a bit of a charred line to them.
- Remove from grill and place on a plate.
- Lightly grill tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side, place on a plate till ready to assemble.
- Assemble Caribbean Tacos by placing corn tortilla down, lettuce, grilled shrimp, adding salsa mixture that you have reserved, top with cheese, grape tomato halves, jalapeño slices, and lime wedges.