Italian Style Breakfast skillets are a hearty and delicious combination of red skinned potatoes, sunny side up eggs, onions, sweet mini peppers, baby Bella mushrooms, tomatoes, fresh spinach, and simply seasoned with Italian herbs, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper all in one cast iron skillet.
Breakfast recipes shouldn’t be so difficult, first thing in the morning. It should be a simple task to make, easy to clean up and delicious to eat. This Italian Style Breakfast skillet fits the simple and easy part without skimping on ingredients.
It’s in my nature to be a big grouch ball in the morning, if I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, look out it’s about to hit the fan. The last thing I want to do is be stuck in the kitchen slaving over a hot stove and cleaning a giant mess.
A few years ago, I jumped on the one skillet bandwagon happily with several recipes. It’s my way of boycotting heavy kitchen duty. This recipe has been one of my favorite way to exercise my right to more morning free time.
Italian Style Breakfast Skillet
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 medium red-skinned potatoes, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of Italian herb blend
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 5 sweet mini peppers, sliced
- 10 grape tomatoes halved
- 1 /2 of a cup chopped fresh spinach
- 5-6 eggs
- Romano cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add red skinned potatoes and season with dried basil, Italian herb blend, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook until almost cooked through.
- Add chopped onion, sliced baby Bella mushrooms, sliced sweet mini peppers, halved grape tomatoes, and 1 cup of chopped fresh spinach to the cast iron skillet, turn the ingredients a few times to distribute.
- Carefully make 5-6 wells in potato mixture large enough to hold eggs, crack eggs and place in wells. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook till eggs are cooked through to your liking.
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle with Romano cheese if desired.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.