Fresh Italian Peppers in Olive Oil are perfect to compliment your next Italian meal. Every Italian family has their own version of this delicious Italian recipe and I have modified our original family recipe for a fresh taste every time. Combining multi-colored mini sweet peppers, fresh cloves of garlic, hot pepper, and garlic infused olive oil and seasoned with Italian herbs without all the fuss and worries of canning in oil.
I grew up on Italian Peppers and oil, and, to put it mildly, love them. What I don’t love is soggy canned Italian peppers soaked in olive oil. I think many of you by now know I have some serious qualms about veggies that are soggy and or overcooked, so I decided to cut the canning process which should make many of you ecstatic.
Simplified family recipes always make my day, I’m a firm believer in saving time in the kitchen. Normally the process of canning in oil can be overwhelming and sometimes scary to those who are not familiar with the canning process, so poof the worry is gone.
Fresh Italian Peppers in Olive Oil
- 1 cup of quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of fresh garlic, separated, and skin free
- 1 tablespoon of dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried hot pepper seeds
- 2 pounds mini multi-colored sweet peppers, sliced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh crusty bread, to serve
Method for garlic and Hot pepper infused oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, I prefer to use a cast iron skillet. Add 1 cup of quality extra virgin olive oil to the heated skillet, bring oil up to a medium heat level.
- Add separated, skin free garlic cloves to olive oil, 1 tablespoon of dried Italian herbs. Reduce heat immediately to lowest heat setting, cook 2 minutes and remove from burner.
- Let infused garlic and hot pepper seed oil set for at least 4 hours to overnight before using.
Method for Fresh Italian Peppers in Olive Oil
- Place premade garlic and hot pepper infused oil in a large metal skillet over low- medium heat till oil is hot.
- Add 2 pounds of freshly sliced sweet multi-colored peppers in the heated garlic and hot pepper seed infused the oil, along with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, cook for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- Place in a glass serving the dish and serve while still warm with crusty Italian bread.
Notes: May be kept safely in the tightly sealed container by adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar, and storing in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.
© Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch, 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material or photos without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Heidy L. McCallum and The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You may not copy and paste recipes to share on Social Platforms.