Waldorf Chicken Salad is a lovely update to the original New York’s Waldorf-Astoria Hotel’s recipe for Waldorf Salad combining Duke’s mayonnaise, Greek Plain yogurt, lemon juice, diced chicken breast, Honeycrisp apples, seedless sliced Globe grapes, celery, fresh sweet basil, toasted walnuts, and simply seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
There’s nothing like an update to a wonderful vintage recipe, today I have chosen to slightly change the Historic Waldorf Salad by adding chicken and a few other delicious ingredients, such as chicken, yogurt, and fresh basil.
This lovely vintage Waldorf salad was created at New York’s Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in 1896 by the maître d’hôtel, Oscar Tschirky, the Waldorf salad was an instant success. The original version of this salad contained only apples, celery, and mayonnaise. The chopped walnuts would later become another key ingredient added to the already delicious salad.
The Holidays are right around the corner and this makes a stunning side dish, it’s super simple to make and the ingredients are readily available even in the winter months at the local markets. I love making this for an appetizer for family and friends to munch on while waiting for Christmas dinner to finish. It’s perfect served with our favorite crackers or even crusty bread.
There’s nothing like a modernized update to a wonderful vintage recipe, today I have chosen to slightly change the Historic Waldorf Salad by adding chicken and a few other delicious ingredients, such as chicken, yogurt, and fresh basil to give it an amazing flavor.
Ingredients needed for Waldorf Chicken Salad
1/4 cup Dukes mayonnaise
2/3 cup Greek plain yogurt
juice of 1 lemon
3 cooked chicken breasts, diced
1 large Honeycrisp apple, diced
1 cup sliced seedless Globe grapes
1 cup sliced celery
3 tablespoons of chopped fresh sweet basil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground pepper, to taste
chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish, optional
Waldorf Chicken Salad
- ¼ cup Dukes mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup Greek plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3-6- ounce cooked chicken breasts diced
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple diced
- 1 cup Sliced seedless Globe grapes
- 1 cup Sliced celery
- 3 tablespoons Chopped fresh sweet basil
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts toasted
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Flat-leaf parsley for garnish optional
- In a large glass bowl combine 1/4 of a cup of Duke’s mayonnaise, 2/3 cup of Greek plain yogurt, and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Dice 3 chicken breasts and add to the glass bowl. Gently combine chicken with mayo, yogurt, and lemon juice.
- Add diced Honeycrisp apple, 1 cup of sliced seedless Globe grapes, 1 cup of sliced celery, 1/2 of a cup of toasted walnuts, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper and gently combine all ingredients.
- Garnish with chopped flat-leafed parsley if desired.
- Serve on bagels, or bread of choice.
Don’t Forget to use the Pin and Print Options to save for later